CPU overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
my friends computer's CPU gets hot fast. Temperature rises to 59C a start up. He just built it and powered it up and found the stats on the Hardware BIOs screen saying his CPU was at 59C and it once went up to 70C.

Stats for his comp is:
MB ASUS P5N-D NF750I SLI 775
PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-400CX 400W
CPU INTEL|Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8G 775
CASE ANTEC|THREE HUNDRED BK
HD 640G|Western Digital WD6401AALS
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ATI RADEON X300 SE

well, thing is the cpu fan is working and spinning.
one thing he kind of suspected was the problem was that he touched the centerpiece where you place the cpu in..in the directions for installing the cpu into the motherboard, it says not to touch that area. and i'm guessing it may have something to do with the heating?
also he heard that if you have a weak video card, the cpu has to make up for that power by heating up...never heard that myself...can anyone confirm this?

only thing i feel is that the heatsink is messed up and i would suggest he RMA the thing.

Is the thermal grease on the heatsink fan applied right or was it preapplied ?
Besides Intel and AMD applying the right amount of thermal grease, other manufacturers of heatsink fans do the same thing.

A few work but mostly others screw up when applying the thermal compound grease.
If I were you I would look into artic silver 5 or manhattan thermal compund grease both of them work great and you only a need a small gumsize right in the midddle of the heatsink place it down the cpu, twist left and right clockwise and lock up the heatsink straps.

how old is this computer? im kinda thinking Dust could be the problem... ive seen dust completely cripple a computer before.

Well, it's a new computer he just assembled. The temperature is about 45~47C.
You think maybe it's the CPU's fault? I can't determine the ambient temperature. I mean he's got like 3 120mm case fans running.. Chassi temp. IIRC is much lower.

Airflow within the computer is pretty good.

Ah. well, at that time (last night) it was normal room temperature. Well, a bit cold since it was like 3AM.
And it's an open wide space, like a living room. With hardwood floors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom