Core i7 build, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember seeing anything like that. I will look again to be sure. Nope, no intake grill on the bottom.

Another thing I don't like about the Antec 1200 is you have to remove both side panels, the power connector for the fan and 12 screws, 8 thumb screws and 4 hard drive screws to remove the hard drive.

EDIT: Another problem I ran into is I can not hook up the front audio ports on the case. The motherboard does not have the right type of connection. What is the deal with that?

I don't like mounting the power supply in the bottom of the case. When it's on the bottom not all of the heat it generates is exhausted by it's fan. A lot of it escapes and rises up heating all the components. When your hunting every last degree in chillyness the Top Mount is vital.

Why do you lay yours on the side when you are Ocing or are you joking?

I think I am going to put the hard drives and the dvd drive at the top. That way it is not so close to the video card.

I have been working on my cable management. It is definitely better than the Thermaltake Armor case I have been using. One thing I don't like is the 8 pin cpu plug is not long enough to go behind the mobo so it is kind of just hanging there out in the open. I need to get some pics loaded up. I have got everything installed except the CPU cooler, dvd drive, and second hard drive. Waiting to get my other computer back. I just hope nothing got damaged from UPS.

For thermal paste, what would be better to use, the stuff that came with the Noctua cooler, Tuniq tx-1, or AS5?

I don't have any TX-2. Seems kind of silly to go buy some more when I have 3 different kinds already. Out of the 3 I listed, what would be better?

Why do you lay yours on the side when you are Ocing or are you joking?
Not joking. I usually add a bunch of other fans when I go for the major OC runs, not all of then are in conventional spots or have places they could be screwed into. So I have to balance then where I want them. Also, as slay pointed out, heat rises. Having two hot gfx cards right below the CPU wafting preheated air to the intake fan isn't ideal :p

As for the thermal paste, use the NT-H1. It works great, just don't apply it too thick. It's particularly easy to do with this paste, as it's very thick and doesn't spread out so easily.

Okay thanks. What would be the better position for the cpu cooler, pulling air from front and blowing out the back or pulling air from the bottom and out the top? I would assume front to back since the video card is right below the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom