6 core processor prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
so i dont really like my computer, i paid a lot of money and got a mediocre computer ( for the price i paid ). But its not looking like ill be able to sell this computer to build another faster one for cheaper... so i think im stuck with it and i have to make do with what i have.

so im thinking about getting a new processor, i have the AMD phenom II 965 Quad core processor, its a quick processor no doubt, but i was looking at getting a 6 core processor. i was looking at the prices of 6 core processors and the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition processor is $305, and intels 6 core i7 980x is over $1000. why is intels processor almost $700 more expensive?

Because they are almost that much more powerful, as well, the 980x is HT so its actually up to 12 with the 6 virtuals.

I'm not sure youre going to see a huge performance increase with 2 more cores as most programs don't even use all 4 on a quad yet.

Are your specs in your sig?
What are you doing with the PC?

Suprised you are that dissapointed with the processor which is why i ask what you have and what you are doing with it to see if another upgrade would better suite you.

yea my specs are in my sig.

if i cant sell it i plan on getting a new case, probably an antec hundred series case, get another 5870, 4 more gigs of ram and maybe a 6 core processor...

When i asked what are you doing with it - i mean what are you using it for. What programs are causing you issue and lag? What specifically are you not happy with.

Again, i ask because that seems like a good PC, so there could possibly be other issues going on here.

He's wanting to run the benchmarks with the Big Dogs but he hasn't figured out the steps yet so he can't get on the porch and bark at the door :devil:

yea.. basically what Slaymate said... well exactly what Slaymate said.

but also i was just curious why there was huge a huge price difference

Because they are almost that much more powerful, as well, the 980x is HT so its actually up to 12 with the 6 virtuals.
Not really.
I mean, they're faster, but not even close to 3 times as fast.
In some programs, it might not even be faster at all.

Also, HyperThreading only gives about 10% more performance in multithreaded programs.
The instruction pipelines can't process two threads simultaneously. HyperThreading just allows two threads to be ready at once, so that if one thread stalls, it can quickly jump to the other thread.
I'm not sure youre going to see a huge performance increase with 2 more cores as most programs don't even use all 4 on a quad yet.
It depends if he's using 6 cores.
Some programs do, most don't yet.

Also, you'd be surprised how much the way you use it and how you configure your OS/programs can affect performance.

Are you editing (Adobe Premiere, After Effects or equiv) FULLHD or higher resolution material (2k+ res)? If not, then there is no point upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom