computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley90

Solid State Member
my 1st post here sorry for my english as it is not my first language : )
my computer have been acting strangely
this few days, my computer won't boot and
there is no lights at all and the fans stop
spinning after a few seconds , i unplugged 1
of the cable connected to the mother board
from the power supply and the fans start spinning but still no lights the cable that i
unplugg is the 1 with 4 sockets. i dunno if
the problem lies with the motherboard itself
or the power supply. Any computer experts
know whats the problem? thanks alot!

Welcome to the forums, what are you system specs? Make sureyourf GPU, RAM and all cables are seated correctly. Might want to take the GPU and RAM out and reseat it. If possible try the RAM in a different slot and if you have more than one stick, try one stick by itself. Are you able to get into the bios? Do you get any beeps?

Is this a system you built yourself or is it a prebuilt?

thanks yup i have tried reseating the gpu and the rams i cant get to bios and i couldn't hear any beeps neither the specs are:
biostar intel core 2 duo 2.2 ghz e4500
kingston 2 gb ram ( i have 2x 1 gbs)
gigabyte geforce 8600 gt 256mb gddr3

Have you plugged that 4-pin connector back in? That's the 12V for the CPU. If that's not hooked up, it won't boot at all.

i plugged in the the connector and i tried boot the computer the fans started moving for a few seconds but i didnt hear any beep sound or see any light coming out of the computer it just stops after the fan spins for a few secs, but when i tried to boot without the connector the fans started moving on normal speed but still no lights and sounds, however my dvd drive which is connected to the pc did worked. Is it possible that the motherboard got burnt? or is it something wrong with my psu? thanks alot for the reply : )

i plugged in the the connector and i tried boot the computer the fans started moving for a few seconds but i didnt hear any beep sound or see any light coming out of the computer it just stops after the fan spins for a few secs, but when i tried to boot without the connector the fans started moving on normal speed but still no lights and sounds, however my dvd drive which is connected to the pc did worked. Is it possible that the motherboard got burnt? or is it something wrong with my psu? thanks alot for the reply : )

It's possible for either of those. Do you have access to a different PSU to test and see if you get the same results? If you do test it with a known to be good PSU, and you get the same problem, you can at least rule out the PSU. This could be a number of different things though. Most likely the board, if it's not the PSU, but could be the RAM, CPU, video card, ect. ect.

Have you ever heard beep codes from the computer before?

yes i do hear beep codes in the past, i think im gonna get a new psu tomorrow to see if it makes any difference thanks.

Pull the memory out of the PC and try to start it. If the problem was memory related and no memory is installled then the PC should beep. If the PC doesn't beep then the problem is not the memory.

Do the same thing as above but substitue the video card for the memory. If the PC doesn't beep with no video card installed then it's not the card.

Remove the heatsink and fan from the cpu. Using alcohol and a clean lint-free rag clean the old thermal paste from the cpu and heatsink. Remove the cpu from the mobo and smell it. Does it smell burnt or can you see any blackish streaks on either side it? If everything looks and smells alright then you can re-install it. Before you re-attach the heatsink and fan check the motherboard for visible defects like leaky capacitors, burn marks or streaks, or anything that just doesn't look right. If everything appears to be OK then apply new Thermal Paste to the CPU and re-attach the Heatsink and fan.

Does this PC have a Modem? Remove it and see if the PC starts. Try removing any other cards that maybe installed one at a time.

Remove the power cable from each of the drives one at a time and see if it starts.

If none of the above works then I would try replacing the power supply 1st and then the motherboard.

okay i took out everything and tried all the stuffs i didnt see any burnt marks and didnt smell anything abnormal just saw some gray stuff which i believe is the thermal paste now whats left is the psu which i haven't test what other things should i look out for? oh and i think i feel small eletric current went through my hand while the power is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom