Status
Not open for further replies.

lafguy81

In Runtime
Case: Lian Li PC 65B
PSU: Corsair 850HX
MB: ASUS P5N-D
CPU: Pentium 4 3.8 570 Prescott 775
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C5 2x2 4 gb (Bought this already)
Video Card: ATI 700 Pro PCI-E
DVD RW Burner Sata
2 Sata II HD's only
soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
fans: 4 80mm is max cooling

My questions are Is there a newer MB then this one that will support P4 CPU
Will the ASUS P5N-D handle 2x2 GB modules or not

Secondly

I'm also considering going to the

Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Any new MB's you recommend for this cpu that will use above memory I already bought.

Thanks

why do you want a new mobo? is there something wrong with your current mobo?

the mobo you have would support the ram you bought and would also support an e8600.

As you might know, 775 is old tech now with the new "i" chips, so you wont find much "new" for 775.

The p5n-d is a good board, I have the version previous, and its fine, and will work with your ram.

If you plan on buying the e8600, you really might want to think About upgrading to the 1156 chip. An i5 is the same price, and the mobo is the same cost as the p5n-d. However, you'll need new ram as its ddr3.

I'm only suggesting this as its hard to let people spend money on old tech.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I want to use old technology is it works. I wanted to upgrade my memory and MB to support Sata II.

I want the Lian LI PC 65B because it has no frills and the HT L W I was looking for.
Since this case only has 4 80mm fans I wasn't sure that would keep 1156 and DDR3 memory cool enough to be an option. Unless you know of another case with very similar specs HT L W (4 bay) variety I must stick to P4 or e8600.

Any ideas

Thanks for the replies. The reason I want to use old technology is it works. I wanted to upgrade my memory and MB to support Sata II.

what do you mean? it says your mobo supports sata 3gb/s which is sata II.

I want the Lian LI PC 65B because it has no frills and the HT L W I was looking for.
Since this case only has 4 80mm fans I wasn't sure that would keep 1156 and DDR3 memory cool enough to be an option. Unless you know of another case with very similar specs HT L W (4 bay) variety I must stick to P4 or e8600.

i don't understand what your case has anything to do with you only being able to use a p4 or an e8600.

and i think any 1156 cpu would actually run cooler than your current p4, especially the i3s and the i5 6xx series cpus since their die is made at a 32nm process.

what do you mean? it says your mobo supports sata 3gb/s which is sata II.

i don't understand what your case has anything to do with you only being able to use a p4 or an e8600.

and i think any 1156 cpu would actually run cooler than your current p4, especially the i3s and the i5 6xx series cpus since their die is made at a 32nm process.

Sorry I forgot to put my present MB is Ga 8aenxp 925xe sata 1 board. The Asus P5N-D board is 3gb/s Sata II that I could upgrade my P4 system too.

I'll give you 5 rigs which do you see as coolest

Case: Lian Li PC 65B
PSU: Corsair 850 HX
MB: ASUS P5N-D
RAM: DDR 2 2x2 (PC 6400)
CPU: P4 570 3.8 Prescott 775
Video Card: ATI 700 Pro PCI-E
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS
SATA DVD RW
2 SATA II HD'S

Has the same specs above except

E8600 CPU
SB Titanium soundcard (Newest One)
GTS 250

Same specs as #1 only Difference

E8600 CPU

Same specs as #1 but, switch to

i3 CPU
12 GB DRR3 ram
MB: supports i3
GTS 250
Soundblaster Titanium (Newest One)

Same specs as #1 but switch to.

i3 CPU
MB that supports i3 CPU
DDR3 Memory

thanks

#2 is the best out of the bunch, but even then, not worth upgrading to. I would switch out the E8600 for an i5, new motherboard, and DDR3.

Last question (you hope lol) would you put #2 i5 machine with ddr3 memory in a Lian Li 65B case?

Of coarse, Lin lan make great cases.

For the record, the i3/5 basically replace the core 2 dual chips, but are much more effiecent in both power consumption, and processing power. So if you would put the e8600 in it, a i5 will be just fine.

Is there a reason why you need a stand alone soundcard? The new mobo ones are really good.

The best reason to go i3/5 is you seem to keep your comps around awhile, And so boosting to the new tech will help you extend your purchase money longer, as the mobo/cpus cost bout the same.

Last question (you hope lol) would you put #2 i5 machine with ddr3 memory in a Lian Li 65B case?

I would put any computer into a Lian Li case. However, that case is pretty **** expensive. I would take half that (or a little more), get a case with that, and then use the rest towards something better than a GTS 250. The GTS 250 is old technology, and not that great even, I would suggest at least a GTX 260.

You could go with an Antec 300, for $60. Very nice case, and has great air flow. Of course, the computer case is mainly personal preference, but with that, you want functionality too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom