Memory Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Well, I have this memory currently: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK

This says the speed is DDR2 1066. However, when i run CPUID, it says DRAM Frequency is 400mhz. I know there's something to do with Double Data rate doubling the frequency or something, but I'm not really sure about all of this. I went into the bios and it said 800mhz and so i increased it to 1066, since that is the retail speed. What is my current speed?

Attachments

• cpuid.jpg
    cpuid.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 28
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I increased it to 1066 in the bios, but then I had a memory failure when I tried to go on stand-by. It reset to "Normal" as it said, so I ran CPUID, and it said my DRAM frequency was 400mhz, so what would my speed be? (I kind of have the events backwards in the first post, sorry about that)

you were correct in your first post

"I know there's something to do with Double Data rate doubling the frequency or something"

so just take 400*2=800

current speed = 800 MHz

does the "2" at the end of ddr2 have anything to do with the calculations? or is that merely a sort of generation type or something?

The 2 is the generation. The 1st D in DDR is the key, Double.

You changed the setting to 1066 and now your ram is at 400x2=800

Try raising that same value up to the next highest value. Your looking for 533x2=1066

Well, in the BIOS, it says 1066, but on CPUID, it normally says 533. But CPUID said 400 when I had to reset it after a memory failure..

Yep, which meant you were running your ram underclocked. In the bios it should say 1066Mhz, in CPUID it should say 533Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom