GPU Overclocking / SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
I have a few questions concerning GPUs. Build in sig, if you have any questions about that.

1.) Is there anything that needs to be done in preparation to overclocking a GPU? or Is it just a matter of keeping the case and GPU cool enough?

2.) I have the EVGA gtx 260 SC edition. Since this GPU comes overlocked already, would there be any reason for me to overclock it more? Is this still potential there?

3.) I just recently bought a Samsung p2350, since my old monitor was even getting the most out of my GPU. I am really considering buying a second gtx 260 and running SLI. How much will that affect my graphics? Can my current setup support SLI setup without stressing the computer too much?

4.) If I were to run that SLI setup, would it still be useful for me to overclock both GPUS?

5.) Anything else I should know?

I apologize for any "stupid" questions, but I'm kinda clueless about this. >.<
Thank you guys!

EDIT: Sig won't show up for some reason >.<
-----
Case: CM Storm Scout
CPU: Intel i7 920
Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI LE
PSU: Corsair 850w
Ram: OCZ 6GB
GPU: EVGA gtx 260
Monitor: Samsung p2350
-----

1. all that there is to over clocking a GPU is keeping it cool, download " Furmark " and run the test to see what your graphics card is running at, 80*C is tolerable, the further from 80*C the better. also, you have to make sure you can physically fit 2 cards in your case. since you will be using a 260 i dont think you will have a problem.

2. i dont know about nividia cards, but im sure there is room for more overcocking.

3. Sli does not double performance, its more of 3/4 more performance. running games across 3 screens means much higer resolutions, like 5000 x 1080, that can really bog down your system, but with a sli setup i cant image in bogging it down that much, but you will see a performance decrease with those massive resolutons across 3 screens.

4. overclocking in sli would be just as beneficial as over clocking one GPU

5. mmm not that i can think of... other than Radeon > Nividia

you can have a text thread at 60 posts and a image sig at 100 posts....

So really it's just all about keeping the GPU (or GPUS) below 80? and Making sure you have the space? Will my PSU be able to handle that?

Ah and thank you! it's showing up now =P

mmm... 80*C is acceptable, but any cooler than that you can keep it the better.
your 850 watt will be more than enough sli 260's

whats showing up now?

mmm... 80*C is acceptable, but any cooler than that you can keep it the better.
your 850 watt will be more than enough sli 260's

whats showing up now?

The Sig :big_grin:

Also, I know you posted a link to that program, but can I just use EVGA Precision to overclock my GPU?

What kind of thing should I be increasing?

My options are:
-Core Clock
-Shader Clock
-Memory Clock
-Fan Speed

The Sig :big_grin:

Also, I know you posted a link to that program, but can I just use EVGA Precision to overclock my GPU?

What kind of thing should I be increasing?

My options are:
-Core Clock
-Shader Clock
-Memory Clock
-Fan Speed

Yes, use EVGA precision if you choose to.

Up the core and shader first (have them linked), run FurMark or OCCT to test the overclock. Up that, until it no longer passes the stress tests. Then unlink the core and shader, and up the shader speed. Up it until it is not longer stable. Once you've found the maximum for the core and shader, up the memory, until it fails.

MONITOR YOUR TEMPS WHILE DOING THIS! EVGA Precision should do just fine for that. Cards can withstand up to 103 degrees Celsius, iirc. I don't feel comfortable going above 80C. I keep mine below 60 though.

im with 95BlackGA, i kinda treat GPU temps like CPU temps, i dont like to see anything above mid 50s. but with a GPU if you can keep the temps around the mid 60s, you are better off.

Great! I'll try that out and see what I can do. I think right now the temp is sitting around 50. I don't like to push things either, so I'll see what I can do up to about 60 I suppose.

Also, can anyone explain what those options are actually doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom