Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - is this a good gaming computer?

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
CalcProgrammer1

Default Re: is this a good gaming computer?

I would recommend an i7 920 or 930, they are both LGA1366 socket CPU's and thus you'll need an LGA1366 motherboard.

A reasonably priced one with tons of features is the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. The UD5 is quite similar, almost the exact same thing except it has an extra Gigabit Ethernet port (which I see as useless, one Ethernet port is all you need) and different heatsinks, in my opinion not worth the extra $70 or so.

For RAM you'll want triple channel DDR3 (triple channel means you want 3 identical sticks). Look for a 6GB kit which will have 3x2GB instead of 2x2GB. The Intel Core i7 memory controller works best with sets of three. I have the OCZ Gold kit and it performs nicely at DDR3 1600 speeds (though it wasn't properly detected so I had to configure the board manually).

I would say 950W is overkill. My entire build (i7 930, HD5870) is running on a 650W PSU and the PSU runs cool. 750W would be enough overhead to add a second (or maybe even third) card in CrossFire down the road, but 950W seems like it's a waste, save your money and buy a better graphics card like a 5830/5850/5870.

As for case, I got an Antec Nine Hundred, while it is a slightly older design it is a very nice case and I love the looks of it. I really like the side panel window, though cases are really a personal preference. A lot of people like the HAF cases but I didn't care for the looks.

If possible, I really would recommend a 5850 or 5870, the 5870 is an awesome card and it burns through Crysis at very high settings with no problems.

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.