New laptop for college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Funny you said that. I looked at a Sony Vaio at a store. I thought they were always expensive, but they are at a good price range now.

I am not dissing Dell, but there are other things to consider than just CPU, RAM and HDD. It depends highly on what you are doing in college. If you are going into graphics, you want a good GFX card, etc.

My cousin lived on a Dell for 4 years at college on a Dell. She was only going for nursing.

Hi MoM,

I definitely agree with you. It really depends on what you will be using your laptop for that determines which one is the best fit. I also mentioned the Sony because of the offer going on right now (until May 29th). You get a free Blu-ray disc drive and movies when you purchase the Sony Vaio E series with Windows 7 Professional. It's a pretty great deal. Check out this link for more info: Sony Style USA | Sony VAIO® Computers | Sony Consumer Electronics .

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

I highly recommend checking out the new Asus U30JC. It's not the cheapest laptop around but it offers a Core i3 350, 4gb DDR3 ram, Intel GMA HD + Nvidia Geforce 310M hybrid graphics, optical drive, and 8 cell battery all in a very portable 13.3" system.

Newegg.com - ASUS U30JC-A1 NoteBook Intel Core i3 350M(2.26GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 310M

Anandtech has a very thorough review of the laptop available if you are interested.

ASUS U30Jc: Refining Thin and Light Performance - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I really don't want to buy a SONY laptop. I haven't used the ASUS laptop before. Is it better than the others because I want to buy kind of like a high performing mini laptop, approximately 10.1". I'm thinking about majoring in Computer Science so it is going to need to be high performing.

Hi there,

Did you reach any conclusions on your laptop? I don't think a netbook will be powerful enough for your computer science major but they are the most portable option.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Windows 7 Professional is a great deal even without the Blu-ray disc drive (although that sounds really fun!) Check out bit.ly/WhyWin7Pro to see why it is a great choice for your new PC.

You should get Dell Inspiron 11z because It has Windows Vista, not 7 so it's compatible with more programs and it has a pretty quick Intel Celeron 743 and Only costs $350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom