Does TV change the settings on the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodwaffle

Beta member
I'm a nurse at a hospital. Our IS team recently installed two 50 inch flat screen TVs in our breakroom for an internet based Kardex system (to display pt information during shift reports). Some soul, who's name will not be mentioned, hooked one of the TVs up to cable (before the blessing of the 50 inchers, we were using a little dinky TV to watch during our breaks).

IS revoked our ability to watch TV on the flat-screens. Their rationale: watching cable messes up the settings on the computer. The 50 inch TV, per IS, should only be used for the eKardex. They then proceeded to steal our TV cable.

Is their rationale valid? Can anyone give me a some-what detailed reason why they are wrong about this? One of the IS people stated, "Whoever hooked this TV up to cable should be fired" (paraphrased, as I heard it second-hand).

I use my TV at home as a computer screen and go back and forth between my computer and cable by just changing the input channel, or whatever. I need some technical ammo to get to use these awesome TVs in our breakroom!

Our IS guys are great, but I think they're wrong about this.

Yes, and no. When I switch in between inputs on my T.V. I some times get resolution issues with computer. Other than that, I highly doubt it will have any interference with their computer systems. However, using hospital screens, that display information about the hospital to watch t.v., doesn't seem like the best idea ever.

Why wouldn't it be a good idea?

The computer HDMI cable goes to the TV. Change the input to HDMI 1, you can see the desktop. The 'cable' cable goes to the TV-- change the input to TV 1, you can watch TV. In order for the TV to affect the PC settings, then the cable television must go through the HDMI cable into the computer. Is this possible?

It isn't possible to go through 1 cable to another via the TV. Both are inputs, neither are outputs. About the main question, don't think it would affect anything other than the resolution problem which as been mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom