new budget!! $2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice, im glad you went with a 5970, its the Fastest Graphics card on the planet.
id recommend atleast a 850Watt powersupply.
you can go with any hard drive, same thing with a optic drive, kinda hard to go wrong.
also, its important to get a CPU cooler too.

i have the Corsair H50 water cooler, and i love it:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

or, you can go with a CPU air cooler:

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Also, this case is much better than the you picked and its cheaper...

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

going to look into these stuff u suggest later night..

the case i picked had a bunch of fans and leds.. plus looked good for keeping temps down..

also, kinda want my computer to look sick!

*edit*
I don't understand why anyone would spend the money on the extreme edition processors, but if you want to go ahead. I would get the i7-930 (plenty of processing power) and spend the rest on solid state disk drives.

Also, that XCLIO case looks like it may be large enough, but be careful. The HD 5970 gfx card measures over 12" in length and requires a case with A LOT of area to work around. I can't find the specification sheet or dimensions off of XCLIO's website for the motherboard tray area, so you might want to call and confirm that there is enough space.

I highly recommend this case here: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I just got this one for my setup with a XFX 5970 installed, and everything fits with room to spare.

oh... I thought if the numbers are higher the better...

Im a super noob... but tryin...

its just I dont want to get something and then something better comes out..

this built will stay with me for 5 years + or more..

just want to get the best possible with the money im going to put in..

about SSD and ram... I see ppl get SSD for booting drive and HDD? for normal storage..

could u point out some so I can review it?

One thing you have to realize, is that there is ALWAYS something new and better coming out, so you can get top of the line things now, and they will introduce something new within 6 months.

As far as a SSD goes, Intel and Corsair seem to be both good brands. Having tested a few at work, Intel seems to be the way to go in my opinion.

This is a good SSD, not too expensive, and it is 80GB!Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

To be honest, I agree that extreme CPUs tend to be a waste of money, when you can get similar performance from a slightly lesser and cheaper version.

The 980X is an awesome cpu, right now nothing can touch it. It is expensive but unlike the 975X, you can't just buy a cheaper cpu and overclock it and get simular performance. Unless your willing to wait until Intel releases a more economical 6 core cpu the 980X is your best long term cpu at the present time.

However, with a $2000 to $2300 you would be better off buying a i7 920 and investing the rest of that cash into the best parts you can find. Then when Intel releases a cheaper 6 core you can sell your 920 and pick one up.

With your budget you could have a setup simular to mine and have a custom water-cooling setup (the Corsair H50 is a poor choice).

As far as motherboard goes I would recommend the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, it's $209 and has the same feature set as the UD5 mentioned earlier except for the second LAN port and bigger heatsinks. I have had no problems with motherboard or northbridge heat with my UD3 and there is really no point of a second LAN port since 99.9% of everyone uses a router. Both motherboards have the same rear panel features, same amount of SATA/USB/1394/PCI/PCIe slots, same basic design so I'd recommend the cheaper one. The EVGA Classified also said nothing about CrossFire X support, and if you go with ATi you must use CrossFire X to run multiple graphics cards (SLi is for nVidia cards).

The 980X is an awesome cpu, right now nothing can touch it. It is expensive but unlike the 975X, you can't just buy a cheaper cpu and overclock it and get simular performance. Unless your willing to wait until Intel releases a more economical 6 core cpu the 980X is your best long term cpu at the present time.

should I wait?? for the 6 core?
im still trying to sell my xps right now..

However, with a $2000 to $2300 you would be better off buying a i7 920 and investing the rest of that cash into the best parts you can find. Then when Intel releases a cheaper 6 core you can sell your 920 and pick one up.

my budget went up.. going to be spending around $3000... but no more the $3k
soon as I sell my xps.. :thumbsup:

With your budget you could have a setup simular to mine and have a custom water-cooling setup (the Corsair H50 is a poor choice).

I want water cooling.. but ppl keep telling me to stay away from it... I never did 'overlocking'..but after I finish this built... im going to try...

my budget went up.. going to be spending around $3000... but no more then $3k

I want water cooling.. but ppl keep telling me to stay away from it... I never did 'overlocking'..but after I finish this built... im going to try...

As far as motherboard goes I would recommend the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, it's $209 and has the same feature set as the UD5 mentioned earlier except for the second LAN port and bigger heatsinks. I have had no problems with motherboard or northbridge heat with my UD3 and there is really no point of a second LAN port since 99.9% of everyone uses a router. Both motherboards have the same rear panel features, same amount of SATA/USB/1394/PCI/PCIe slots, same basic design so I'd recommend the cheaper one. The EVGA Classified also said nothing about CrossFire X support, and if you go with ATi you must use CrossFire X to run multiple graphics cards (SLi is for nVidia cards).

thanx for the heads up.. ill look into that..

I thought the more $$$ means better...

going to look into these stuff u suggest later night..

the case i picked had a bunch of fans and leds.. plus looked good for keeping temps down..

also, kinda want my computer to look sick!

*edit*

oh... I thought if the numbers are higher the better...

Im a super noob... but tryin...

its just I dont want to get something and then something better comes out..

this built will stay with me for 5 years + or more..

just want to get the best possible with the money im going to put in..

about SSD and ram... I see ppl get SSD for booting drive and HDD? for normal storage..

could u point out some so I can review it?

Just based off of what you said, I would cut your 3K budget in half and get a decent PC for 1500-1600. You should be able to hold a grip for 2-3 yrs easy, then when this PC starts going downhill, you will have that 1500-1600 for newer hardware, which I assure you will be better than your current build even with the 3K budget.

going off of what Graham said here is a build that i want to do, costs $1690 and it will easilly handle anything i would be able to throw at it.

Case: $116
Antec Twelve Hundred ATX 12 Drive Bays 2xUSB 2.0 eSATA Audio Full Tower Case
Amazon.com: Antec Twelve Hundred ATX 12 Drive Bays 2xUSB 2.0 eSATA Audio Full Tower Case: Electronics

Power supply: $88
AZZA PSAZ-850B14 Dynamo 850W Power Supply (Black)
Amazon.com: AZZA PSAZ-850B14 Dynamo 850W Power Supply (Black): Electronics

Ram: $170
OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC 6GB Triple Channel Kits
Amazon.com: OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC 6GB Triple Channel Kits: Electronics

Graphics Card: $700
SAPPHIRE 100280SR Radeon HD 5970
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100280SR Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard Drive: $55
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optic Drive: $25
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

CPU cooler: $80
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performance CPU Cooler CWCH50-1
Amazon.com: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performance CPU Cooler CWCH50-1: Electronics

Mother Board: $190
MSI X58 Pro-E Core i7/Intel X58/6DDR3-1333/ATI CrossFireX/GbE/R/A/1394/ATX Motherboard
Amazon.com: MSI X58 Pro-E Core i7/Intel X58/6DDR3-1333/ATI CrossFireX/GbE/R/A/1394/ATX Motherboard: Electronics

Central Processor unit: $266
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail BX80601930
Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-930 2.80GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail BX80601930: Electronics

total: $1690

my budget went up.. going to be spending around $3000... but no more then $3k

I want a 980X so bad I can taste it, but I just can't force myself to buy one when I know a less expensive model is sure to be released as soon as I buy one.

If you've got the cash I say spend it. I know Sean W. means well but avoid the Corsair H50 and the AZZA Power Supply. I would buy a i7 920 before I went with a i7 930. The Samsung HD would be my last choice and while MSI does make good mobo's I would go with a EVGA or Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom