Upgrading Compatability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovelite

Solid State Member
Hi I'm new to the site so if this, for some reason, is on the wrong board, I'm sorry.

Currently I am trying to upgrade my Athlon 1700+ Palomino(unfortunately) to an Athlon Mobile 2500 Barton. My Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ and it only supports 266 FBS. The Athlon 2500 Barton runs at 333 fbs, while the mobile runs at 266, also having a lower voltage for the same clock speed. Most of this is probably familiar with many of you, seeing as how it is the most popular CPU to OC. Can you forsee any kind of compatability issue with me using the Mobile 2500 with my motherboard? They are both Socket A with 266mhz fbs. The Gigabyte website gave an 'OK' on compatability with all the mobile processors, but the list cut off at Athlon XP Mobile 2000.

Also, earlier I said my motherboard only supports 266 FBS because my manual seems to tell me that. When I ran a program that analyzes the CPU, it said the chipset on my mother was KT266/333. Does this mean that I can support 333 and that my manual is non-specific? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

yes there is a compatibilty isse why purchase a mobo and plan to use the barton 2500 ??? that mobo sucks if you wanna over clock. use a nf7-SV2 mobo

the manual probabli meant it can go up to 333 fsb, noy sure i wish my contemporaries would arrive in this thread. and give u some more info im a novice

groovelite said:

it said the chipset on my mother was KT266/333.

the chipset on that board is actually VIA KT266/8233

representing KT233 as Northbridhe and 8233 as southbridge controller of the motheboard.

this chipset in all version are on 266 FSB (and not 333), but you can run your processor on it, BUT also, it wont show clock speed which you are expecting, as in determining, clock speeds of processors, there are 2 things, Clokc Multiplier and FSB. so it makes your FSB = 133 (or 266 on DDR), and the clock is fixed, so when multiplied with 133 rather than 166, your actual clock out-put will be lower.

Thank you for the responses. I know the whole fsb/multiplier system, but are you saying that I should be able to run the mobile 2500? I don't even need to overclock, I just am dying for a little more performance and don't plan on buying a new pc til mid summer.

And since this is related, if I were to buy a new motherboard, when I transfer hard drives and memory and all the components that I can, will I have to reinstall the OS or will everything stay the same, save the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom