New laptop for college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxdarkjokerxxx1

Beta member
Hello,
I'm soon going to college and I want to a but a fast operating portable laptop. I want to be able to carry it around almost anywhere. I don't want it to be slow, basically with good memory an hard drive. I'm thinking of buy a Dell laptop.

Any Suggestion?

Thank You.

What is your budget? What will you be doing on it? Are you within the US? What size screen are you looking at?

Dells are not as top notched as they used to be. I would rather go for an ASUS, you get more performance for your money.

4Gb of RAM should be plenty. An i5 or i7 CPU would be great, depending on your budget.

Macbooks are also containing a very restricted OS that does not contain a very large software library to choose from. The price is a huge factor in most people's descion to purchase a laptop and most people cannot afford an apple laptop. Thier entry level ones are as much as a high end windows based laptop.

I highly recommend asus or toshiba for general use laptops
I highly recommend cyberpower PC for gaming laptops

However I shall let you in on a little secret. Foxxconn is the manufacturer of most of the laptop motherboards and chipsets. Even apple's products are mainly manufactured by foxxconn, even iphones! so in a sense apple is not really the manufacturer of thier hardware, foxxconn is!

Most of the low range laptops are manufactured by foxxconn. specially dell.

dells are infamous for being heaters. I owned one and it burned my lap after just 40 minutes of use. I needed to power down and let it cool off. it was a business class notebook.

I have also worked for dell and know how bad they are. If you would like to know please PM me. I do not wish to discuss it on this thread. :)

asus and the other brands I mentioned are the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220701 only 650USD

Hi there,

Dells does offer laptops that are great for college students. For example, the Dell Studio 15 has a super fast processor, 4 GB RAM, and 500 GB hard drive space. It is also affordable at $699. However, as mentioned by others in this thread, there are plenty of non-Dell options. Have you looked into a Sony Vaio?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

^Funny you said that. I looked at a Sony Vaio at a store. I thought they were always expensive, but they are at a good price range now.

I am not dissing Dell, but there are other things to consider than just CPU, RAM and HDD. It depends highly on what you are doing in college. If you are going into graphics, you want a good GFX card, etc.

My cousin lived on a Dell for 4 years at college on a Dell. She was only going for nursing.

sony does financing but they are not very good terms and you need better credit then even renting an upscale apartment. WTF??!!

I really don't want to buy a SONY laptop. I haven't used the ASUS laptop before. Is it better than the others because I want to buy kind of like a high performing mini laptop, approximately 10.1". I'm thinking about majoring in Computer Science so it is going to need to be high performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom