What can be done to my comp. to bump it up to par?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny 5

Beta member
I am not looking to create a hardcore gaming machine - I don't have the money for that. :sad: I simply wish to enable my computer to play a game smoothly on high settings - Starcraft 2. I come here for your wisdom, as while I am not ignorant when it comes to computers, I am not a guru by any means.

The specs for Starcraft 2 are as follows:

CPU: Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz or Athlon X2
RAM: 2Gb with DualChannel mode
GFX: Geforce 9000er or Radeon 3000er Series

My specs are as follows:

CPU: 2.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300
RAM: 6GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
GFX: 32MB (shared) Intel GMA X4500 integrated graphics chip
Operating system: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
Power Supply: 300 Watt
Main Board: Intel G43 Express

If you wish to know anymore about my computer CLICK HERE for a more detailed list of specs.

Any input would be helpful. Thank you.

The first thing I would do is upgrade the video card. You will see a big improvement just by doing that. Of course you may have to upgrade the power supply as well depending on which card you get.

What kind of budget do you have?

you need to get a better graphics card, bigger power supply, what CPU cooler are you using? if possible get a decent CPU cooler and push your CPU harder...

I'm trying to keep this comp. upgrade below $250, but if I must I would pay up to around $400, as I am that obsessed with Starcraft.

I think the only cooling system in this computer is the fans that came with it. I haven't upgraded this computer at all.

I would upgrade the graphics card. Chances are that graphics chip is integrated into the motherboard, so it's simply a matter of making sure you have PCI Express x16 slots on your motherboard and then buying a graphics card (if your system is older it may have AGP, in which case you must buy an AGP graphics card, but yours should have PCIe). You may be able to get by with your current power supply if you buy a lower end graphics card, otherwise you may have to upgrade to a 500W or higher PSU. As far as "pushing the system" goes, it sounds like you're using an OEM build (hp, Dell, Gateway, etc...) which often lack the overclocking features that performance motherboards have, so I don't think adding a new cooler will do you any good if you can't overclock.

I would upgrade the graphics card. Chances are that graphics chip is integrated into the motherboard, so it's simply a matter of making sure you have PCI Express x16 slots on your motherboard and then buying a graphics card (if your system is older it may have AGP, in which case you must buy an AGP graphics card, but yours should have PCIe). You may be able to get by with your current power supply if you buy a lower end graphics card, otherwise you may have to upgrade to a 500W or higher PSU. As far as "pushing the system" goes, it sounds like you're using an OEM build (hp, Dell, Gateway, etc...) which often lack the overclocking features that performance motherboards have, so I don't think adding a new cooler will do you any good if you can't overclock.

oh yea, i didnt think of that... you are right

With that, you would have some left over, and could get a new motherboard. That way, you have the ability to overclock, once you get a new cooler. Which would run anywhere from $30+.

According to the link provided there is a PCIe slot. I'd say add a graphics card for sure. And a PSU if you need to. You will have to be careful what you get though because from the pics it looks like there isn't a lot of room or airflow in that case. make sure to check the dimensions and don't get something that puts out a lot of heat.

this is a great plan! i would do this, and get a mother board, a CPU cooler and try to push your processor and this thing will be able handle SC2 with room to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom