Upgrading a eMachines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well on a different forums someone said as long as it is a Micro ATX type power supply it will work. Also there is 250 watts power supply for $20 and it has 100 watts more power so that should you know. The reason why I wanted to upgrade the power supply is since everyone is saying that my current power supply is not powerfuly enough to have a new video card added. If my current one was powerful enough then there is no need to upgrade. Also the main reason why I want to upgrade is since I think it's about time to have a better graphics card so I can play UT 2004 and The Sims 2 better than before. Also I want to add max ram upto 512mb and I found two new 256mb rams for $29.70 so $14.85 each with free shipping.

Also according to the pic for the 250 watt power supply for $20 I see the plug for where you connect the motherboard and it looks the same as the one I currently have.

I can tell you that whoever told you to use a mATX PSU is an idiot. Your PSU is an ATX. It even says so in the pic you posted.

Here's a great PSU for $30, an Antec 350W.
Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP350 350W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply

Looking at the Graphics Performance list it looks like a 8400 GS would be your best bet for a cheap card that would give you the best performance.

Demalii said:
Just saying, in high school we had a computer lab full of emachines, 75% were constantly crashing, or being repaired. I agree with the go mow a couple lawns statement..

Wow, beyond suprised to even see emachines still in business.. I'm beyond baffled. Guess so many people invest in their $200 pc's and figure out later what kind of company it is.
eMachines has changed hands a couple of time (bought by Gateway, and then sold to Acer), but it is still going right along. My wife's computer is an old eMachine and is around seven years old... still cranking.

Any computers in a HS comp lab will be crap after the students have abused them. Some schools re-image lab computers on a weekly or monthly basis because of this.

Well I do know that my power supply has 3 screws on the back of the tower so it's got to be a Micro ATX and plus it is alot smaller than normal power supplys. Also I looked it up on the net for the power supply I currently have and it even says it's a Micro ATX type.

By the way how do I add an custom avatar to my profile on this forums? I wanted to add one but there is no place so I can upload my avatar.

Three screws do not necessarily equal a mATX PSU, but in this case it does. I pulled up the model and made sure (should have done that to start with). Sorry about that.

Unless the PSU you found on eBay is a dependable brand I would steer clear. Here is a solid PSU:
Newegg.com - FSP Group FSP300-60SPC 300W Micro ATX Power Supply - Power Supplies

Once you hit 40 posts you will be able to add a custom avvy up to 80 x x80.
Forum privileges have been set up on usergroups. These usergroups allow for different forum privileges to be earned as members participate in the community, and thus are based on the number of posts made by members. Here is a current breakdown of those permissions and the usergroups for them:

Registered Users (0 -39 posts):

* Only forum provided avatars
* Profile pic, 100x100
* Forum titles

Registered Users Extra (40 - 100 posts):

* Same as above
* Signature allowed, text only (according to the rules)
* Custom avatars allowed, 80x80

Registered Users Extra BST (100 - 249 posts):

* Same as above
* Custom avatars allowed, 100x100
* Graphics and text sigs allowed, maximum size of 300 x 100 (accoding to the rules)
* Buy/Sell/Trade forum available

Registered Users Extra 2 (250+ posts):

* Same as above
* Custom avatars allowed, 120x120
* Graphics and Text sigs allowed, maximum size of 600 x 150 (according to the rules)
* Custom forum titles.

This is one of the power supplys I can afford. I assumed that 250 watts one would be enough though.

MICRO ATX Power Supply MP4ATX25 P4 KY-350ATX 250W - eBay (item 230472884635 end time Jun-09-10 01:30:59 PDT)

Here's another one. This one is 450 watts and it's $3.50 more than the other one.

GREEN 450W Micro ATX MATX SATA With 20/24 Power Supply - eBay (item 110404468329 end time Jun-13-10 22:39:34 PDT)

Also I noticed that there are 4 screws on the $30 power supply you showed me so I don't think that will work.

As long as your screw holes line up with three out of the four you would be good to go.

Honestly, there is no way I would put either of those PSUs you linked to in my own computer. If I wouldn't use it I can't recommend it to anyone else, either. If you want to take it upon yourself and risk it, be my guest.

I am a penny pincher. I don't recommend any more than what is called for or what is asked for. many automatically recommend the 'biggestest and bestest' for everyone. I am trying to work within your means, but I cannot recommend something that I myself would not use. I hope that makes my position clear.

Now, if you can post a dollar amount I can see just what can be squeezed out of it. I can tell you that any list I might put together will mainly come from NewEgg or other reputable e-tailers and will not include anything from eBay.

Heres a pic of the power supply in the back and as you see there are only 3 screws holding it. The top big screw is for holding the tower but the smaller 3 are for the power supply.

Picture-1.jpg

You can do some modding. Measure and drill the hole(s) you need once you get the PSU. Since that is the OEM PSU, you won't find any that are an exact match, especially for that hole pattern.

You can do some modding. Measure and drill the hole(s) you need once you get the PSU. Since that is the OEM PSU, you won't find any that are an exact match, especially for that hole pattern.

It's a Micro-ATX PSU, so even trying to fit a standard ATX PSU in there will be near impossible. I believe the PSU is only about 2.5" tall? It has the same mounting holes has most other Micro-ATX PSU's.

Ultra X4 400-Watt Modular Power Supply - 98mm Fan, MicroATX, Lifetime Warranty. at TigerDirect.com

That's the only Micro-ATX PSU that I can come close to suggesting, and I don't even like suggesting it, as it's from a manufacturer that hasn't done the best in the past.

I found out that both the 250 watts and the 450 watts for around $20 does both have 5 holes so I can use two on one side and one in the other size so it should work.

I' am actualy kinda confused about this but does my system accept max ram of 512mb? Since some websites says that I can only have upto 256mb and some says upto 512mb. I know there is a system that is exactly like mine but just has a 256mb preinstalled memory instead of 128mb like mine and that one says it can go upto 512mb. My system should be able to go upto 512mb since it doesn't make and sence that it could only go upto 256mb.

Basicly I need to know is can I use the rams that was for eMachines T1105? Since both as I said are same systems just the T1105 has added more ram. It's just really strange that just the T1100 says it can go upto 256mb and others like the T1090 or T1105 says can go upto 512mb. But I do remember forsure that seeing some sites saying that the T1105 can go upto 512mb. Like Crucial websites say mine can go upto 512mb.

The thing is that Crucial.com website costs more to buy the same type of ram but if I buy it from a OEM website then I can get each 256mb for $15 each. But I have to select the T1105 model to get two 256mb rams. Since if I just select my model on OEM website it says upto only 256mb total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom