possible psu issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuelite

Baseband Member
for the past week my computer has been shutting down randomly. I noticed the other day that whenever someone starts the microwave or sometimes when the fridge is opened is when it happens. could this be because the psu is bad or that its something with the power going to the psu?

it will shut down when im away or on it. just lastnight when someone started the microwave it rebooted. while it was booting up I walked away for a min and heard it reboot again. it happens at different times , sometimes while im browsing the web or running a program and sometimes while its booting

Hmm, haven't used linux in a while, but I think there was a version of coretemp released that'd work for you.
edit: google suggests lm-sensors

my experience in this is "dirty" power, i.e. your breaker or fuse box is not handling the amperage provided to either your computer or your fridge/microwave adequately. something that may solve the issue is a good power strip or a UPS, or Uninterruptable Power Supply
Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE TLP810SAT 10 Feet 8 Outlets 3570 joules Protect It! Surge Suppressor
Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1000AVRLCD 1000VA 600 Watt 5 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

yesterday I noticed that when everyone was using the microwave my computer was in a loop booting up but when they were done it booted right up

again I point to my previous post, that it sounds like you may be getting voltage or amperage spikes. try getting a surge protector, or a free option, try plugging in your computer elsewhere

my experience in this is "dirty" power, i.e. your breaker or fuse box is not handling the amperage provided to either your computer or your fridge/microwave adequately. something that may solve the issue is a good power strip or a UPS, or Uninterruptable Power Supply
Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE TLP810SAT 10 Feet 8 Outlets 3570 joules Protect It! Surge Suppressor
Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1000AVRLCD 1000VA 600 Watt 5 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

^^That would be my guess as well. Opening the fridge door is a classic example of something that can cause a power surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom