Video Editing Rig for $900 Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckman44

In Runtime
Hello everybody, I need some help building a computer that will be used for general use while rendering HD (720p) footage almost constantly. I record from my Xbox 360 via an HD Capture Card, so I need a computer that can edit videos.

Also, if anyone is good in the Hackintosh kinda thing, I'd appreciate a good build that could also run Snow Leopard so I can use Final Cut Pro. If your not sure about it, dont worry about it.

Thanks

That budget is a little tight, because just for HD capture, you're looking to spend a good $200 on a decent capture device.

Leaving about $600, which is possible, if you tell us everything that needs to be included. OS, Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Monitor, ect. ect. Do you have anything laying around/from another computer that can be reused?

As for a video capture device, I would suggest the Blackmagic Intensity, several people use them in conjunction with there Xbox 360's.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Hauppauge is good. My sis has one. hers is a pci card tho. works great.

now I highly recommend an nvidia gfx card. they can use something called CUDA which runs apps right off the GPU. there are some adobe plugins that use it as well as encoders and decoders. try those out!

as for processors intel might be a good choice, however amd has improved alot.

and running a hackintosh is not a good idea becuase your hardware choices are more limited, as well as the legality is highly questionable, as well as it not being totally 100% working right.

using windows 7/vista x64/2008 and adobe preimiere is a good way to go.

I already have an external capture device. (Haupaugge HD PVR)

Is that the only thing you have that's going to be "recycled" to this new computer? We need to know what all you need.

I don't recommended Nvidia graphics, at the moment. Your budget is decent, if you only need the PC components. You can get a better ATI card for the same price. No, you don't get CUDA support, but there isn't a lot of applications that can take full advantage of it, to make that a decision maker.

I don't recommend Intel either, at this point. If your budget is just for the PC components, then yeah. AMD has the budget minded people in mind. You can get an AMD quad, for about the price of a mediocre Intel dual core.

Let us know what all you need, and we can cook up a nice parts list for you.

I need all the computer components.

Also, if you could throw together both a $600 system and a $900 system that would be great. Im for sure selling my laptop, but not sure if I can find someone to buy my PS3.

Also, I heard Intel's are vastly superb to AMD processors in video-editing. Also, an AMD quad only has 4 cores period...When and i7 or i5 have virtual cores also if Im correct.

ATi and nVidia are both supporting OpenCL and DirectCompute into their new line of GPU's, so I expect CUDA to become less and less relevant as application developers move to these new, standardized platforms. Right now ATi has the upper hand with the performance to price ratio and the 5xxx GPU's will support GPU computing through OpenCL with upcoming driver releases. I would recommend an i7 processor if your video editing software is capable of multi-core rendering as the i7 has 4 hardware cores/8 logical cores through Hyper threading. To stay under $900 you would really have to cut the video card though, might be able to get a 5770 or 5830 but I doubt you could fit a 5850 or 5870. I don't think video editing is too hard on the GPU (unless you're using GPU computing like CUDA/OpenCL) as long as you aren't rendering 3d scenes on the PC.

ATi and nVidia are both supporting OpenCL and DirectCompute into their new line of GPU's, so I expect CUDA to become less and less relevant as application developers move to these new, standardized platforms. Right now ATi has the upper hand with the performance to price ratio and the 5xxx GPU's will support GPU computing through OpenCL with upcoming driver releases. I would recommend an i7 processor if your video editing software is capable of multi-core rendering as the i7 has 4 hardware cores/8 logical cores through Hyper threading. To stay under $900 you would really have to cut the video card though, might be able to get a 5770 or 5830 but I doubt you could fit a 5850 or 5870. I don't think video editing is too hard on the GPU (unless you're using GPU computing like CUDA/OpenCL) as long as you aren't rendering 3d scenes on the PC.

3D scenes would be like? cartoons and stuff? all I would do is edit gameplay recorded from a console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom