Hold off for GTX 470 replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that if you gave it a few days you would love it. It really is awesome and fun but FOR ME it wore off after a few months and I started thinking about the cost to keep playing the newer games in the future in that resolution in great settings with high frame rates. In BC2 for example at 6144x1152 at high settings with 0aa 0af i was getting an average of 35FPS. Now at 2058x1152 I am at max settings max AA max AF and getting like 75FPS and loving it.

Not sure how scan or ebuyer works so I can't comment on that. But I am just saying for a while I was saying "omg I could never go back to a single monitor" but now that it is just not the case at all. The other solution I would rather do is a 40" TV.

If you're looking for a card that you can use for a while, I'm not sure how long the GTX 470 or 480 would actually last (before they die). They only have 1 year warranties.

I mean, all hardware has a limited lifespan. But I would think the 470/480 lifespan is probably fairly short in comparision.

If you're looking for a card that you can use for a while, I'm not sure how long the GTX 470 or 480 would actually last (before they die). They only have 1 year warranties.

I mean, all hardware has a limited lifespan. But I would think the 470/480 lifespan is probably fairly short in comparision.

My EVGA GTX 480's have a Lifetime Warranty.

Basing a card off the games you buy is a good idea, not a bad one

Games yes, game no.

It seems like you really want to go the Nvidia route over ATI and you want someone to agree with you so you feel better about your purchase. If that's what you want, go for it. You made a topic asking for opinions, and I'm giving mine. You can't convince me that the Nvidia route is a good idea, just like I can't convince you it is totally bad one.

Buy what you want. If Nvidia makes you happy, you should do it.

Games yes, game no.

It seems like you really want to go the Nvidia route over ATI and you want someone to agree with you so you feel better about your purchase. If that's what you want, go for it. You made a topic asking for opinions, and I'm giving mine. You can't convince me that the Nvidia route is a good idea, just like I can't convince you it is totally bad one.

Buy what you want. If Nvidia makes you happy, you should do it.

I don't really want to go nvidia route, infact i have a 5870 in "My Basket" at the moment, not a 470.

Just trying to discuss the benefits of each.

Anyone got opinions on a PowerColor 5870 PCS++ ?

I don't really want to go nvidia route, infact i have a 5870 in "My Basket" at the moment, not a 470.

XFX gives you a lifetime warranty.

that card is fine. it comes with a small OC from the factory, nothing significant though, and the cooler is a hair better than the stock, anywhere from like 1-5c better.

edit: oh, didn't see the second "+". the "++" version comes with a pretty decent 100mhz OC on the core, everything else i think is the same as the "+" version.

Generally I prefer the reference coolers for the 5000 series
They blow the hot air outside the case, and actually do a decent job of cooling while remaining quiet.
If you just replace the thermal paste on the GPU, and the crumbly white thermal pad with a better one (you do need a thermal pad for the IC's and MOSFET's, due to the height), temperatures will be pretty good.

Also, reference coolers mean a reference PCB, which means it's easy to get a waterblock or aftermarket heatsink for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom