Which RAM is better and why: Crucial 2.0v 4-4-4-12or OCZ 1.8v 5-5-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

I have 3 sets of RAM:

DDR2 Crucial Ballistix 6400 800MHz 4-4-4-12 [2x2gb] [2.0volts]

DDR2 OCZ Gold series PC2 6400 800MHz 5-5-5 [2x2gb] [1.8 volts]

DDR2 OCZ Special Ops PC2 6400 800 MHz 5-5-5 [2x2gb] 1.8 volts]

Ok, can anyone here help me to understand which sticks are the best and why?

I have no clue as to what the timings represent.

Any accurate info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Soar

techPowerUp! :: Memory Timings Explained

That'll help you with timings.

SirCyber was correct. The lower the timings the quicker it can process everything.

The Ballistix set is the best out of the bunch, seeing has they have the lowest timings, at the same speed (800Mhz).

If you overclock, you may run into some issues that will require you to raise the timings by one. (e.g. 4-4-4-12 @ 800Mhz, may need to be changed to 5-5-5-15 at 1066Mhz.) My Crucial ram is at 4-5-5-15, at 868mhz. Default for my ram is 6-6-6-18 at 800mhz.

the ballistix *at least, used to be* are the best ddr2 pc6400 ram... the timings are the speed of the ram. the 'stix are also versatile overclockers

SirCyber,

Hey, thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this.

Soar

techPowerUp! :: Memory Timings Explained

That'll help you with timings.

SirCyber was correct. The lower the timings the quicker it can process everything.

The Ballistix set is the best out of the bunch, seeing has they have the lowest timings, at the same speed (800Mhz).

If you overclock, you may run into some issues that will require you to raise the timings by one. (e.g. 4-4-4-12 @ 800Mhz, may need to be changed to 5-5-5-15 at 1066Mhz.) My Crucial ram is at 4-5-5-15, at 868mhz. Default for my ram is 6-6-6-18 at 800mhz.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the link. I read up on the RAM timings and that sure helped me to understand the basics.

I purchased lots of the DDR2 RAM a couple of years ago when most sets of 4gb were going for $20. I am very glad I purchased more than I needed.

I never understood the timing numbers and now I know a little more [basically, the lower the timing numbers, the higher the performance].

One of the Crucial sticks went south but when I called Crucial they explained a life time warranty. So I sent them back and they shipped me two new ones.

Now I will install the lower rated RAM in a computer I will sell on Craigslist to help pay for some of the new DDR3. I'll keep the Crucial's for myself for right now and put them in my Q9550 rig.

Have a good one!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom