General Use PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
CPU + MOBO: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $215
RAM + PSU: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $153 - $40 MIR = $112
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $100
Optical Drive: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners $22
Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50

Total: $540 - $40 MIR = $500

I think I did pretty well. For $500, that is really good.

This is for a friend's girlfriend's parents. He told me $500-$700, and I think this should be fine. I don't see a reason to put any more money into a general use pc, especially since there is no need for a gpu.

Can anyone make any further suggestions?

For a general use PC, I see no need for a quad core. Especially one of AMD's top.

If it's necessary go with a Athlon II X4. If not, I would suggest a Phenom II X2.

Phenom II X2 550 + Biostar TA785G3 (Essentially the same board, without HDMI.) = $131 :

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Athlon II X4 635 + Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (Would leave you choosing DDR2 over DDR3) = $161

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.382195

Making the end price, either $416 to $446.

Yeah, those are quite viable options if they want to spend even less, but are you considering the fact that they are going to likely keep this thing till it breaks? Their current pc just died and that is why they are getting this one. This way it should stay up to speed for the longest time possible.

Yeah, those are quite viable options if they want to spend even less, but are you considering the fact that they are going to likely keep this thing till it breaks? Their current pc just died and that is why they are getting this one. This way it should stay up to speed for the longest time possible.

I can understand them not wanting to have to upgrade it, **** look at my rig... My mom still runs on a 1.8Ghz Duron. With the difference between the Athlon II X4 and the Phenom II X4 being mainly the L3 cache, they wouldn't be losing out on valuable usage time/longevity . The L3 cache isn't really going to affect them that much, since, as you said, it's a general use PC.

If you're worried about the motherboard choice with the Athlon X4, I'm sure there's a board that's AM3 which will support DDR3. It'll most likely still be cheaper with a Athlon X4 and an AM3 based board, versus a Phenom II X4 and a AM3 based bored.

actually, it is best to get as good a processor as you can. replacing the gfx card is much easier then replacing the CPU. so if you need to save and you don't game much or edit video, getting a mid tier geforce would suffice, if the client wishes to have those aero graphics on windows vista/7. if they do not care for the effects, a low end geforce or embedded card would work fine. some of those even work for aero effects, like my mom's laptop: her's has an intel gma 3100 and it does aero just fine.

also if the client wishes to upgrade thier pc later on, having a good motherboard and PSU would be ideal. I recommend at absolute minimum 450 watts if they plan on using a 9800gt equivalent card. I recommend a 500 watt PSU for starters. I am currently using a 660 watt PSU and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom