Need basic overclocking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
hey guys, yes i know i should know all of this by now but its been a long time since i've over clocked and i wanna start getting into it again.
I wanna just basic oc by cpu and ram...not sure if its worth oc the ram but when i play games the usage gets to about 90-95%...i've disables superfetch and indexing...

Here are my specs...running Win 7 Ult 64bit

q6600 @ stock
2gb corsair (CM2X1024-6400C4)
Gigabye p35ds3r (latest bios)
8800gts 512mb stock
320 hdd, 500hdd (both seagate)

i got enough cooling, have a tuniq cooler and plenty of fans all in my CM- 690 case.

Now i wanna know which softwares to use again for stress testing and wat i shud disable on my bios ...i wanna get to a stable 3.2ghz...or even 3s fine plus is it worth oc ram or not and shud i get another 2gb since im almost getting maxed out during gaming..

thanks

Your q6600 is old g0 stepping right?

You can hit 3.2 with no, or very little, Vcore change.
Best to keep your ram at stock speed first.

You need to turn off speedstepping to stop the downclocking, there might be a secondary one too in your bios.

As you have the older g0 chip, turn it to 3.0Ghz and booter!

Use prime95, Intel burntest, or linX to test.
If unstable, bump the Vcore, Then rerun the tests.

You can use SuperPI of something to test your speed vs other q6600s.

Ram, i never really oc it, as i didn't find a problem.

Your q6600 is old g0 stepping right?

You can hit 3.2 with no, or very little, Vcore change.
Best to keep your ram at stock speed first.

You need to turn off speedstepping to stop the downclocking, there might be a secondary one too in your bios.

As you have the older g0 chip, turn it to 3.0Ghz and booter!

Use prime95, Intel burntest, or linX to test.
If unstable, bump the Vcore, Then rerun the tests.

You can use SuperPI of something to test your speed vs other q6600s.

Ram, i never really oc it, as i didn't find a problem.

i thought at the time i had the newer go stepping, how do i check?
plus i dont mind not over clocking...i wanna run it in stock...but what do i set my multi on?
i can set my cpu multi 334*9...but then the ram speed gets lowered if i set my ram multi on 2...should i set it on auto....plus my bios settings have
virualization, eist and cie...i think im suppose to disable those, right?
and pci options are peg or pci ...
is there anyone who has my board? or should i post a pic of my bios options...

If you have a G0 you should be able to do 2.9-3.0 on stock voltage. Use CPUZ to check it. Disable C1E, EIST. If I remember the Q6600 has a 9 multi?

If you have a G0 you should be able to do 2.9-3.0 on stock voltage. Use CPUZ to check it. Disable C1E, EIST. If I remember the Q6600 has a 9 multi?

yup mines a gO plus it does have a 9xmulti
im running it at 333X9 right now.
but what about the ram multi...i put it on 2 but its running my ram at 667, if i put it on auto it goes to 1000.
plus i disabled EIST and C1E, but wat about virtualization, leave it enabled?

Leave virtualization enabled, and I'd go for a 400x8 config with a x2 multi for hte ram. That'll get your ram to 800Mhz, which is what it's meant to run at, and get you to 3.2Ghz

You will need to bump up the vcore slightly, but hopefully not too much.

edit: zomg, I think I fail. 400 might be just a *little* high for your system lol :facepalm:
What memory ratios do you have to work with?

Leave virtualization enabled, and I'd go for a 400x8 config with a x2 multi for hte ram. That'll get your ram to 800Mhz, which is what it's meant to run at, and get you to 3.2Ghz

You will need to bump up the vcore slightly, but hopefully not too much.

alright so i bumped it up to 1.3, default was 1.2875 and i got a bsod right on startup, so i now put it up to 1.325 and its working alright but havnt run stress test yet
my ram can run voltage up to 2.1 so shud i bump ddr2 voltage to +.03 since defaults at 1.8?

Virtualization is only needed if your running programs like Virtual PC or the "XP Mode" in Windows 7. If your not using it, Disable it.

When it crashes are you blue screening? What error codes are shown?
When you start Stress Testing use LinX

Using the picture below, select the "ALL" button, then set it to run 20 Times, then Hit the "Start" button.

linxj.jpg

When you can finally past the Test 20 Times you should be good. Double check it by changing the "Times" to "Minutes" and select 75 or 100. If you can pass LinX for 100 minutes you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom