Hold off for GTX 470 replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you should save up a few more $$$ and upgrade to a i5 750 or a 920 1st and then worry about the video. You could always pick up a 2nd 4870, used or on-sale, later to hold you over.

I think you should save up a few more $$$ and upgrade to a i5 750 or a 920 1st and then worry about the video. You could always pick up a 2nd 4870, used or on-sale, later to hold you over.

Really ? I've yet to play a single game or run an app that my processor can't easily handle.
Ofcourse, i would like to though. But i think i have a much bigger need for a new GPU.

My parents have an old fridge and gas fire place that they are letting me sell and keep the money to get rid of clutter in the garage, so that could be another £50 to £100 for me hopefully. We'll see, maybe in a few months i'll have enough money for both anyway.

And yeh - a 5870 is really tempting, not sure why as i dont really have enough room for a 3rd monitor.

i have a 5870 and only have 1 monitor. i cant justify spenind $600 on monitors. plus im not sure if i would like eyefinity. id have to play with somone elese before i were to decide if i like it...

Really ? I've yet to play a single game or run an app that my processor can't easily handle.
Ofcourse, i would like to though. But i think i have a much bigger need for a new GPU.

Your present system is on the verge of being a bottleneck for a new high-end card. If you wait for the next generation of cards it will be a bottleneck. I'm not saying you won't see an improvement with a new card, it just won't perform as well as it could. But that's just my opinion.

A 5870 is definitely a better idea. It is only $50 more. I can't understand why you bought a $470 in the first place. However, since you have a 4870, I would personally hold off until the next generation of video cards since yours is already quite good. It would be a little different if you were going to sell off your 4870, but if you haven't yet, and you aren't planning too, definitely wait. The jump will feel much nicer.

I'm not so sure about gaming but i love my two monitor set up just for desktop use. But i am one of those people that have 4gb of ram and multi task so much they fill the lot up, i've got stuff all over the place and a 2nd screen really improved my productivity - so a 3rd monitor would no doubt be beneficial to me too.

My three monitor setup wouldn't look to great though, all three monitors would be different. I do wish i had the cash to get three new identical monitors. Nvidia 3D really appeals to me too as i've heard its pretty good, it just makes this decision so difficult for me. Each side has its good and bad points.

ATI:
Eyefinity
5870 is slightly faster
Runs cooler
Less power

nVidia:
Phys X
3D Vision
CUDA
Future driver performance improvements

The problem is i value all of these features quite a bit.
I've just got to fight my usual urge to order as soon as i have the money, this time i am going to try and hold out to make a genuinely good decision and not rush things.

A 5870 is definitely a better idea. It is only $50 more. I can't understand why you bought a $470 in the first place. However, since you have a 4870, I would personally hold off until the next generation of video cards since yours is already quite good. It would be a little different if you were going to sell off your 4870, but if you haven't yet, and you aren't planning too, definitely wait. The jump will feel much nicer.

nVidia:
Phys X
3D Vision
CUDA
Future driver performance improvements

Thats why.

Your present system is on the verge of being a bottleneck for a new high-end card. If you wait for the next generation of cards it will be a bottleneck. I'm not saying you won't see an improvement with a new card, it just won't perform as well as it could. But that's just my opinion.

I understand this. But spending £300 on an i7 mobo and i7 = practically no performance gain on the vast majority of games. Spending £300 on a gpu = 100percent performance gain.

@Sean W.
The GTX 470 is a DX 11 card

I would have to say I am very happy with my 5870
Not only will it max out any game, but it also won't run particularly hot or use heaps of power.

25k.PNG

If you really must have PhysX, you could just get a GT 240 or something and use hacked drivers to use it as a dedicated PhysX card. But I don't think it's worth it.

Idk man, its not worth it to me, but if its what you want, its your money. Just remember that ATI is planning on bringing out new cards again this fall if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom