pci express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
I am planning to build a new computer at Christmas to replace this old one. And I was wondering what peoples views are on pci express graphics cards. I plan to get the 6600 or x600.

Also will there be an amd 64 (socket 754) mobo, which has a pci express x16 slot by Christmas.

Thanks in advanced.

I just did a little research and I found out that there should be AMD PCI-Express Motherboards by Christmas. PCI Express will certainly give you much more speed in games, as it goes 16x compared to AGP's 8x.

PCI-E will be available on 754 soon (before Christmas) as it is currently being introduced to 939 (K8T890).

The current video cards on AGP and PCI-E are the exact same (different interface), therefore you will not see an increase in performance.

there are currently no pcie gfx cards taht outperforme the top of the line agp cards. You would have to wait a little more for the r series of gfx cards if u want anything better than what we already have

the 6600GT is a decent card.. but for the same price u could get ur hands on a x700XT for pci-e and in my opinion it performs better than the 6600GT... stay away from the x600 series tho... the worst thing u could imagine for gaming

stay away from the x600 series tho

Yup, silver beat me to the punch, but yeah he's absolutely correct. I've read nothing about the x700 yet, but the 6600 completely and 100% dominates the x600. But like everyone else said wait for PCI-E to become a little more standard

Wouldn't getting a AMD mobo with PCI-E now be smarter? If he is going to buy a new PC now or Christmas he might as well buy one with PCI-E now and upgrade to a better card later, so that later on down the road he doesn't have to buy a new mobo to upgrade his video card. And if the PCI-E cards now are basically the same as their AGP counterparts then why wait to buy a new PC until PCI-E is better then AGP? Thats my opinion anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom