Computer Tracking Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTail

Solid State Member
Team,
I was wandering if anyone has ever heard of a chip that I could implant into my computer where I can track its location if its ever stolen?
Red

You mean something like LoJack on cars? I have heard there is a way, but you have to get it done when you purchase the PC from what i know.

Most computers can use a program known as LoJack, they have two options, either a BIOS version that pings back to them, and they report to police if you report it stolen, or, a software version that is rather easy to remove, but most people are too ignorant to check for such a thing when powering a pc on while on any network.

If I remember right there is a basic service which costs $40 a year, or the premium service which is like $60 a year, the key differences is one, allows you to delete sensitive files remotely, that way if it is powered on, and connected to a network, once the program communicates with HQ, it will start erasing critical data.

But, any laptop can have it, but only certain brands/models can have the program implanted into the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom