will my corsair 400w support a HD 4870?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capiech

Beta member
Hi guys,

I've been buying parts for a new computer over the last couple of months, and left the graphics card till last (I wanted a working computer but didn't have the money for the whole lot) and now my computers up and running, albeit with an old graphics card, and i've run into around £90 it's time to look at graphics cards.

The main purpose would be to play games such as MW2 or Just Cause 2 at 1980x1080 at 'hopefully' moderate - max settings. I am looking for the best graphics card under £100 and saw a 'XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card' for £90 and wondered if my computer could support it (mainly if the PSU could handle it).

My current AM3 setup is:

Enermax Pandora case,
MSI 770-C45 mainboard
AMD athlon x2 250 3ghz (with stock heatsink/fan)
Corsair cx400w psu (30A on a single 12v rail)
2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1,600 Mhz (4GB total)
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT (this is what I want to replace)
Windows 7 - 64bit

The cards I was looking at originaly were GT 240s and HD 4670s and HD 5850s but closer to £100 I can get either a GT 250 or a HD 5870. The HD 5870 aparently requires a minumum of 450w with 2 6pin PCIe plugs.

My question is could my system support such a card (will my Corsair 400w be able to run it). I would have to use a 4pin molex to 6pin PCIe adapter I think because I have only 1 on my PSU. Would it be a case of my system would run it but barely or would it keep freezing or going black?

Any input would be aprecciated, especially if anyone has a similer setup themselves. I would like to think the minumum 450w value on XFXs website is exagerated for the purpose of covering rubbish/unbranded PSUs and that my Corsair one should be able to do the job.

If not, would you suggest something a little less powerfull like the GT250 or HD 5850 perhaps? Also if I had to use the 4pin molex to 6pin PCIe adapter, would I have to use 2 instead of 1 and 1 actual PCIe lead fromt he PSU to make the power more even between the 2 plugs (sorry if that question is nooby, im not overly sure on this topic)

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you

in the parts you wrote 5850 and 5870, i think you made a mistake and meant to put 4850 and 4870, which would make more sense.

anyway, yes the corsair 400w would be able to run a 4870, it is a quality psu. you would just need to use a pci-e adapter, which you should get in the package with the gfx card.

although, you should consider a 5770, it should be around the same price as a 4870. it offers similar performance while consuming less power, and only requires one 6 pin pci-e cable which your corsair has already. plus it will also run cooler, and it support dx11.

in the parts you wrote 5850 and 5870, i think you made a mistake and meant to put 4850 and 4870, which would make more sense.

anyway, yes the corsair 400w would be able to run a 4870, it is a quality psu. you would just need to use a pci-e adapter, which you should get in the package with the gfx card.

although, you should consider a 5770, it should be around the same price as a 4870. it offers similar performance while consuming less power, and only requires one 6 pin pci-e cable which your corsair has already. plus it will also run cooler, and it support dx11.

I fully agree, yet again! I had my Sapphire 4870 on a Antec BP-350 with a CPU and memory overclock, running fully stable. I could play all games, I could do any benchmarks, and still have no problems with voltages. My 12V rails on that, only totaled 23amps, so you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom