changing mobo need help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneeb83

In Runtime
OK so I have a DX58SO for my core i7 920...
don't plan to OC...
the board has gone for warrenty claiming..
Intel is sending me the latest revision of the board..

BUTTTT....here is the problem...
this is a V.good chance for me to exchange my board from my vendor for an ASUS p6t DELUX V2 for about $80-$90 more...

I have already read the reviews about both boards but I just want an hunest advice about this.....should I go for the change or stay with what I have....

I need to know more about the asus p6t delux v2 from ppl who own one....

like is it troublesome , slowboots, hangs, memmory problems.

Also I am still doubble minded because ASUS only offers me 9 month warrenty on their boards HERE...

PS....all other boards aren't availible here....ony the DX58SO,p6t and the p6t DV2

any help is appreciated

I am too leaning to wards this choice...but there are the draw backs...
like what if I have a defective RAM slot which is usually the case with this perticular asus board....I only have 6 GB RAM now...and have no way to test all RAM slots...
and what is the board dies after 2 years....I cant afford to buy another one....

With INtel there is no RAM issue...and I have 3 years warrenty to return my dead board...

BUTTTT then again...the ASUS is a GREAT GREAT board....

if heme has one...I would like to ask him the problems that he encountered with that board....

I am too leaning to wards this choice...but there are the draw backs...
like what if I have a defective RAM slot which is usually the case with this perticular asus board....I only have 6 GB RAM now...and have no way to test all RAM slots...
and what is the board dies after 2 years....I cant afford to buy another one....

With INtel there is no RAM issue...and I have 3 years warrenty to return my dead board...

BUTTTT then again...the ASUS is a GREAT GREAT board....

if heme has one...I would like to ask him the problems that he encountered with that board....

You'll easily be able to test ALL ram slots with the current ram. It's simple, use 1 stick of ram each time, and see if it boots when the ram is in each slot. ASUS has a 3 year warranty on their boards, been that way since '99. Plus, I know from experience that their RMA is actually pretty decent. I sent in a GPU and didn't even have to have the receipt. (This was a few years ago, so not sure what has changed.) You will get far more options with the ASUS board over the Intel. You will get a larger community with the ASUS board over the Intel, so troubleshooting should be quite easy. With Intel there's a chance that you get charged $25 to fix the board, plus other fees as stated in the warranty information specific to your product, similar to ASUS. I had to pay shipping to them for the RMA, but shipping back was free. I've never had to pay for parts/labor for any ASUS product that has been RMA'd.

I would opt for the P6t regular edition if you could and you wont have to dish out any extra cash hopefully, obviously the p6t v2 is much more feature rich and better for overclocking than a regular p6t. I have owned one (it was great quality for a inexpensive board) and is much better than a intel board.

Also as 95 said its easy to test ram dimms and such and if you have to RMA through asus and not your vendor, just be sure to keep an invoice.

with all due respects, Isn't the regular P6t a problem house! I mean It had more problems than the Dx58so had. Are you sure that the regular p6t would be better?
I can get one tommorow for a mere $30 extra...But you just made me doubble minded now :S

The regular P6T was fine. If you want to be on the safe side, you can get the P6T v2 if you want, and obviously get more feature for more money. It's really a matter of personal preference on your part.

OK so here is the deal....Im dona ditch the Dx58so and go for the asus board...
But now I need to know which one....as far as I have seen the DV2 offers 1 extra Lan port and 2 USB ports.
I won't be using the IDE of Floppy on any of them, Nor will I be using SAS controller. But I do plan to upgrade to 4 GB RAM sticks in the future (when they get....Affordible:yum:)
I WILLLLLLLLL NOOTTTTTT be OCing , PS I also want a board that will take my i7 920 DO out of the box...the dx58so had the issue of BIOS recognition, I have no idea if the same exists for the asus boards.
also I plan on setting up a 3 way SLI or crossfire (in the DISTANT future:big_grin:)

SO guys what will it be for me? which board is better..???
also I should mention the upgrading price:
p6t regular~30$
DV2 version~85$

Update:

changed my mind after reading quite a bit.
:sweat:

On second thought Im gonna keep the DX58SO once it comes back.
y?
well because, The main reason for my switching was that I get a board that does 6 slots of memmory
But as I have come to discover that the ASUS boards (all of them)
have a memmory recognition problem that starts sooner rather than later. and thats the case for about 40% (no exaggeration)
ppl istall 12 GB and the board sometimes reads 8 or 6 or 10 etc etc
Some people say that the memory controller in the I7 cannot handle 2 banks of memmory consistantly...which seems plusible

Other than memory the asus offers a very good phase power designs
but I wouldn't be overclocking atall So the DX58SO will do all these things for me.

and this will allow me to later swap the board for the upcomming 1365 sockets....

Sweeeett plan:big_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom