TV On Computer W/ Only Wireless Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Equivocate

Beta member
Allright, here is the situation. My cable modem & wireless router is located in my basement, and my room is on the upper floor. I have a D-Link wireless router to connect to the internet. Also, down in the basement is my dad's computer, which is wired to the router. He also has an Adaptec VideOh thing where he can watch TV on his computer by hooking a cable connection straight to this box and then to his computer.

I want to be able to watch cable TV in my room. The reason I don't just have a TV in my room in the first place is because it'd be too hard to get a cable connection up here, and thats also why I'm on a wireless connection.

My dad suggested getting a TV tuner, but a) would that work with cable TV and b) would it work wirelessly? If not, what else could I do to get cable TV working in my room?

Too hard to get a jack (cable connection) up there? From my cable co, Mediacom, which also supplies my internet, will install a jack in my room on the top floor (second story) for 25 bucks. All they have to do is tap into the outside box and run an external wire up to the room you want it in, then go through one wall and bam, done. Also, when I lived in Iowa, the cable co there installed a jack in my room for less than 20 bucks. What floor are you on, and do you lose connection often using wireless? Just wondering.

Well, we're paying for cable internet and somehow we're getting the cable TV for free, so we really don't want them to come out here. And about just getting a cable connection up here:

The reason I don't just have a TV in my room in the first place is because it'd be too hard to get a cable connection up here, and thats also why I'm on a wireless connection.

So Im looking for an alternative...

Well, if there is an existing cable connection on the top floor, you can always add a splitter to the connection. I hear the the signal quality degrades a little by splitting, but not enough to really care. Only problem is, unless you run it through the wall you will have a cable winding around the house.

The Equivocate said:
Well, we're paying for cable internet and somehow we're getting the cable TV for free, so we really don't want them to come out here. And about just getting a cable connection up here:

So Im looking for an alternative...

that happened when i was like 14. turns out that it is only temporary, how long have u had it? we were using the free stuff for like 4 years.

At least 6 years now. Once they came out and put a little filter on the side of our house, but it was just a matter of reversing the filter or taking it off all together.

it'd be pointless to get a TV tuner. It still requires the same coaxial cable connection to your computer so that'd be exactly the same as having a cable box. I really don't think you're going to find an alternative to getting cable up there besides just putting an actual cable up there. Maybe you could have the computer with a TV Tuner hooked up downstairs near the cable connection and then have that one networked with your computer upstairs and used something like Dameware to completely control that other computer and basically view it's screen through your computer, but I don't think that'd be all that efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom