Can this PC run all the latest games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given I am working on a budget, I'd rather try just building it myself if I got all the components. I'd need a lot of help though, do people often get talked through the assembly process here or?

Everyone is talking about dual core and quad core... but what
about AMD's Sempron 2.7 GHz Sargas model? It benchmarks
well over the 2 GHz Core2Duo (the old generation, the new
Core2Duo's with virtualization would kill it). The system I'm
using when I go to my friend's house, which I built, and runs
most games quite well at 1680x1050... is...

CPU: AMD Sempron 2.7 GHz Sargas socket AM3. (Single core)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 1066 MHz memory (2x 1 GB)
VIDEO: eVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1 GB PCI-e
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
320 GB WD Caviar Blue HD

The only game I really have problems with on this computer
is Crysis, but when I turn the resolution down to 1280x800
I can have the settings up pretty high. However, my friend
is happy with it... he can play Modern Warfare 2. lol

Just look at something like that to get, if you're on a budget
those pieces are very cheap and work well together. Just
make sure you get the right motherboard for 1066 MHz
memory to work with the processor. If it isn't compatible
it will run at 800 MHz. I had that problem with the first
board. Sadly, I can't tell you which board worked. I'll reply
to tell you later when I go to his house.

Everyone is talking about dual core and quad core... but what
about AMD's Sempron 2.7 GHz Sargas model? It benchmarks
well over the 2 GHz Core2Duo (the old generation, the new
Core2Duo's with virtualization would kill it). The system I'm
using when I go to my friend's house, which I built, and runs
most games quite well at 1680x1050... is...

CPU: AMD Sempron 2.7 GHz Sargas socket AM3. (Single core)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 1066 MHz memory (2x 1 GB)
VIDEO: eVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1 GB PCI-e
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
320 GB WD Caviar Blue HD

The only game I really have problems with on this computer
is Crysis, but when I turn the resolution down to 1280x800
I can have the settings up pretty high. However, my friend
is happy with it... he can play Modern Warfare 2. lol

Just look at something like that to get, if you're on a budget
those pieces are very cheap and work well together. Just
make sure you get the right motherboard for 1066 MHz
memory to work with the processor. If it isn't compatible
it will run at 800 MHz. I had that problem with the first
board. Sadly, I can't tell you which board worked. I'll reply
to tell you later when I go to his house.

Maybe about 6 years ago, a single core would cut it. By today's games, it would be put to it's knees, and struggle. The Sempron is intended for BASIC functions now. Word, Email, Instant Messaging, Media Playback, ect. ect. Today's games are coded, and optimized for multiple cores, unlike older games that could do very well on a single core platform.

As for playin' Crysis at that resolution and high settings, I'm going to have to call BS, unless you're getting BAD framerate. I was BARELY playable with my setup on high settings, at a higher resolution. (1440 x 900), I was averaging 32FPS, and while it was playable, that would not be acceptable to a lot f gamers these days.

I suggest a Athlon II X4 620 ($100) (You could go with a dual core, if you wanted, and it would save quite a bit, **** even an Athlon II X3 would be accpetable.)
AM3 board ($60 - Biostar A785G3)
4GB DDR3 ($95)
ATI 4850 ($100) (You could hold out on this, and see if the integrated graphics would be suitable for your gaming style, but it won't be nearly as good as a dedicated GPU.)
250GB SATA II hard drive ($45)
Corsair 400W PSU ($50)
Windows 7 Home Premium ($100)

A little over your budget, but you'll be more satisfied with this over most prebuilts for the same price.

Given I am working on a budget, I'd rather try just building it myself if I got all the components. I'd need a lot of help though, do people often get talked through the assembly process here or?

We'll help you as much as you want to. The best thing to remember, is putting together a computer, is just like a puzzle. I piece will not fit where it does not belong.

This may be a dumb question, but could I gut my Alienware case and use it as the case?

I could keep the SB Audigy 2ZS Sound Card and cooling fans in it, maybe even the optical drives to save a bit?

This may be a dumb question, but could I gut my Alienware case and use it as the case?

I could keep the SB Audigy 2ZS Sound Card and cooling fans in it, maybe even the optical drives to save a bit?

It all depends on what form factor it supports for the motherboards. Most newer mainstream boards are mATX and ATX. I know Dell (Alienware) has used proprietary boards before, and some BTX boards before.

What model was the Alienware desktop? I can help you find out if it uses a proprietary board, BTX board, or if it'll work with an ATX/mATX board.

It's always a good idea to reuse as much as you can, unless you've got a lot of money, or your parent's do. :D

It's an Alienware Area 51 desktop model from 2004.

I'll post all the specs so maybe you guys can tell me what out of it I can still use. The hard drive is corrupted though (hence why it's not in use now). It would be nice to be able to use it's case and maybe even some of it's parts.

Case: Alienware Full Tower Case (420-Watt PS)
Power Supply: 650 Watt Max Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: Intel Pentium HT Technology 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Intel 875P
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
GPU: ATI Radeon X1800 Pro
Cooling: AlienIce Video Cooling System
Hard Drive: 70GB Raptor 10k RPM
Optical Drive One: Plextor CD-RW
Optical Drive Two: Pextor DVD-RW
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS

So, what from all that can be salvaged? I know the power supply is a beast, other than that not too sure.

Oh, there is also a Floppy Drive and Network card but I have never even used the floppy.

Case, psu, hard drive, and opticals. Probably the sound card as well. I'd say use those parts, or straight up ditch the whole system and sell it on Craigslist to add it to your build-it-yourself budget.

Well the HD is corrupted (virus ate it and I can't even reinstall the OS) so I can't use that anyway. Everything in it works but that.

Given it's not a functioning computer I wouldn't get that much on CL for it given the parts aren't worth much anymore.

So if I kept the Case, PSU, and opticals, could someone give me an example of what sort of MOBO/CPU/GPU/RAM to put inside for roughly $500?

I was thinking something along the lines of this but I don't know if it's compatible:
Athlon II X4 620 $100
4GB DDR3 $100
250GB SATA II HD $50
Windows 7 $100
AM3 Board $60
GPU? - Roughly $100 left in budget

I would pick myself but I don't know what's compatible with the parts I will be re-using.

The stuff that 95blackGA recommended would be the way to go. You'd still be a bit over your budget with a new OS but not by much.

Yeah the list I comprised was 96blackGA's list, I just left out the parts I already have (Case, PSU, Opticals, Sound Card). Just need to know if it's all compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom