Can this PC run all the latest games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well he could always pick up a store bought machine and have a video card slapped in. that seems like it would be in his price range

What if I got the PC listed in my last message, but put this video card in it:

nVidia Geforce 7900 GTX PCI-e 512MB Dual DVI HDTV

Would it be compatible? And would it be what I'd need as far as for gaming?

That card is extremely out dated and very poor for performance in today's standards. I would recommend getting AT LEAST an nVidia GTS250 512MB or ATi 4850 512MB.

Okay, but then the question becomes, is it compatible with the PC I've chosen? I know certain GPU's take more power than I'm sure comes in that PC.

Also I'm not a money market, $100 is the most I can spend on a separate GPU. Seems the one you mentioned is just over that on Ebay.

Building your own is just so intimidating to me, plus then don't you have to buy the OS? And Windows 7 is not cheap.

As you can tell I know nothing about any of this, really I'm not smart enough to put one together on my own.

I've got an old Alienware Area 51, and it's power supply is still working fine, could I use that with whatever GPU I got?

Well it comes down to this. You want something that is impossible for your budget. You say you want to play the latest games top notch, well you cant do that any where near 500. If you built, or had it assembled by ibuypower or an equivalent then you would get more performance for your money then any store bought brand name pc, but you still, will NOT be able to play the latest games maxed. Perhaps if your lucky mid way with a lower res. If your wanting to max out newer games at a decent res your looking at 800+ with fairly low frame rates depending on the res.
If you don't know what parts to select at something like ibuypower, take a look at this chart, it is a pretty darn good computer for the money, but is over your budget, but will be massive leaps and bounds better for gaming.

Putting together a computer on ibuypower or another site is not building one, but it is still cheaper for the most part. You simply select the parts you want in it, and you can just choose these if you don't want to be creative.

Source: How to Build an Awesome Gaming PC for $647 | Maximum PC
Keep in mind that these prices will be higher if you go through a company like IBP, so you are probably looking at more like 700-750. Which some of these things can be very much scaled down, the chart was just an example. another lower end gpu could be subsidized for the 5770 in the parts listed to lower costs. However the only thing i would consider scaling down in that computer would be the gpu, as lowering anything else is getting to the point where you really don't have a gaming computer.

The psu from the alienware computer could suffice, but we would have to know the specs of it, and the brand to know for sure. But if your doing that it is basically like building a computer, you have to completely unplug most of everything, and then hook the new one back up to everything. So if you are certain that you would not be comfortable building a computer then you will definitely not be comfortable changing the psu, nor putting a new gpu in. Even though these tasks seem daunting, they are in fact very simple.

To get a decent gaming computer out of a prebuilt then you are going to have to spend a fair penny, more then you would if you do what i and others have suggested. As most prebuilts are not meant for gaming, they are meant for businesses or family house holds. A lot of prebuilt brands such as alienware (which i would never, ever, advise someone to get a computer from them) offer gaming computers at a very premium price.

Thanks for all your help.

Yes Alienware = Paying for a paint job that's why I'm trying to get one for much cheaper this time ;)

So after looking at that list you posted, Luke.. If I bought all of those parts (I'd probably downgrade the GPU to be within price range) then found a way to get them put together into a working computer, I'd have a good gaming PC for at least a couple years?

I don't need 'no lag on full settings in the middle of a raid' I just need playable and good looking....

Well it depends on how you play games. If you want to be at higher end setting, maybe not max, but high medium, mid medium then it will do its job fine right now most likely with every game, other then like crysis and a few others, as long as you are not on a higher res. Which brings me to the question, what native res is your monitor?

If you are comfortable with having current games at about medium to low high (again depending on your res) and having future games that are possibly more demanding more at low medium, then yes this computer will do you fine. It really comes down to if you want medium-high settings right now, and don't care about games that would possibly not run as well a few years down the line, or if you want it to be more future proofed for high settings in future games (if you know what i mean, im kinda circling here lol)

So if you were going to go with the parts on that chart, except a down scaled gpu, you could select all those parts at ibuypower, or another equivlent and they would build it for you.

where are you located?

Intel Pentium dual core @ 2.8Ghz (the newer one, based on core 2 duo architecture)
Asus P5Q Pro motherboard
2GB DDR2 memory
Western Digital 400GB hard drive
Nvidia 7900GS video card
Wireless G adapter
Antec Sonata 3 case w/ power supply (1 light scratch on case)
Samsung DVD RW Drive

windows XP or windows Vista home premium of your choice
$400 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom