"Old 2003" computer question

My computer ?

• Go with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade it! (Please hand me some links)

• Sell the crap and get a new one! (Please hand me some links)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wroop

Solid State Member
I wonder if I can upgrade my computer or if I have to change the whole set.
Speed : 3GHz

System
Mainboard : FUJITSU SIEMENS D1627-C
BIOS : FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 5.00 R2.14.1627.02 (11/25/2004)
Bus(es) : X-Bus AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 1.5GB DIMM DDR

Chipset
Model : Fujitsu Siemens 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
Total Memory : 1.5GB DIMM DDR
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 167MHz (334MHz)

RAM
Memory Module : Micron 16VDDT6464AG-40BC4 512MB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
Memory Module : AL5D8B53T-5B1K 256MB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (2.5-3-3-8 2-0-0-0)
Memory Module : 256MB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
Memory Module : Micron 16VDDT6464AG-40BC4 512MB DDR PC3200U DDR-200 (3-3-3-8 2-11-0-0)
[1.5 GiG total]

Video System
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (20 PS3.0, 7 VS3.0 450MHz, 512MB DDR2 2x662MHz, AGP 3.00)

Storage Devices
HDS722580VLAT20 (82.3GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 2MB Cache) : 77GB (D:)
WDC WD2500JB-55EVA0 (250GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 233GB (C:)

Logical Storage Devices
WrpEn (D:) : 77GB (NTFS) @ HDS722580VLAT20 (82.3GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 2MB Cache)
Hard Disk (C:) : 233GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2500JB-55EVA0 (250GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : x86

You think this is good to go, Upgrade it (if soo, how, with what?) or do I need to buy a new one.
GAMES: WoW, Dirt, Trackmania, Starcraft 2.

I really want a new OS like Vista or 7, but I dont think my comp can handle either one of 'em.

Give me some advices please! :big_grin:

I would say build new because dirt 2 is pretty demanding and sc 2 isnt really bad but would prob push your machine with alot of units out and low settings.

What would be your budget before i try to help?

I would get a new one. My current desktop is similarly old (2002 or 2003 don't remember) with an AMD AthlonXP 2.13GHz, AGP graphics slot, DDR 1 RAM, IDE hard drive, etc.

A few years ago I replaced the graphics card with a Radeon X1600Pro, upped the RAM to 2GB, and swapped the noisy 80GB HDD for a 120GB IDE HDD. The graphics update allowed me to play some games in higher quality but by today's standards it is useless even with those upgrades. It does run Windows 7 but not games. The Source engine (Half Life 2/Portal/Team Fortress 2/Garry's Mod/etc) runs but lags horribly on detailed maps. I don't think anything newer would work at all.

Soon I'm going to buy a new gaming PC and retire the old one (I'm going to keep it, probably use it as a TV PC for movies or something, not sure it's worth anything to sell it).

If you're on a limited budget, you can pick up a last-gen system for pretty cheap. The Core 2 Duo/Quad chips are much faster than your Pentium 4 and are selling for cheap now that the i5/i7 series are out. While your 7900GS is a pretty good card for AGP, you'll see much better performance from a new graphics card. The main reason you can't upgrade is your motherboard uses the AGP graphics slot while all new graphics cards are using PCI Express, so you'll need a new motherboard and new motherboards do not support your old Pentium 4 chip, so you basically have to start over.

What would be your budget before i try to help?

Im swedish, and we got a really good site selling hardware at low prices, I dont know, about 850-900 USD ($ lol)

*edit*
I would get a new one. My current desktop is similarly old (2002 or 2003 don't remember) with an AMD AthlonXP 2.13GHz, AGP graphics slot, DDR 1 RAM, IDE hard drive, etc.

A few years ago I replaced the graphics card with a Radeon X1600Pro, upped the RAM to 2GB, and swapped the noisy 80GB HDD for a 120GB IDE HDD. The graphics update allowed me to play some games in higher quality but by today's standards it is useless even with those upgrades. It does run Windows 7 but not games. The Source engine (Half Life 2/Portal/Team Fortress 2/Garry's Mod/etc) runs but lags horribly on detailed maps. I don't think anything newer would work at all.

Soon I'm going to buy a new gaming PC and retire the old one (I'm going to keep it, probably use it as a TV PC for movies or something, not sure it's worth anything to sell it).

If you're on a limited budget, you can pick up a last-gen system for pretty cheap. The Core 2 Duo/Quad chips are much faster than your Pentium 4 and are selling for cheap now that the i5/i7 series are out. While your 7900GS is a pretty good card for AGP, you'll see much better performance from a new graphics card. The main reason you can't upgrade is your motherboard uses the AGP graphics slot while all new graphics cards are using PCI Express, so you'll need a new motherboard and new motherboards do not support your old Pentium 4 chip, so you basically have to start over.

Yeah I think I cant sell it because I wont get anything for it. We're in the same seat I see :smile:. The thing is, You bought the Radeon X1600Pro, I used to have that before I switched to the Nnvidia one, and my research sais that the 7900 GS AGP is the Best for gaming AGP Gfx, still I hit Low/medium on games, I dont really want that.
Another thing is that I got an Antec Nine Hundred Imageshack - s5000089xa0.jpg I dont really want to get rid of that.

I also been looking at the I5 core from intel, my friend got one, and its crazy!!
He maxes all the games with a Radeon HD 5770 1g with only 55% or less processor power, sure crazy!
I would really want a i7 but the Core 2 Quad is really awesome too, I dont know.

About the motherboard, you're completely right. Its old and I have to change T H E whole setup to change even one thing.

Im swedish, and we got a really good site selling hardware at low prices, I dont know, about 850-900 USD ($ lol)

Do you know any sites i could use? any preferences

I usually use newegg but they dont ship to Europe.

overall AMD vs Intel gives you extremely similar performance. In games there is almost no difference. Price wise a amd phenom x4 or an i5 will prob be your best option.

Prices are estimated with newegg.com
Intel
an i5 750 is $200 2.66 quad
i7 920 2.66 quad (8core with HT) $279

AMD
a AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 Black Edition is $160
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8 $209

I just bought a AMD 1090t (3.2 black version of 1055t) and it runs really cool and extreamly easy to overclock. It is up2 you though. If intel is your preference and you want a i7 the 920 can be overclocked nicely with a decent cooler. The i7s seem to run a bit hotter though from what ive noticed

I'd keep the case, I'm looking to buy an Antec Nine Hundred for my new build, it is a nice case. You could always reuse it (and possibly the power supply) with a new build. If you don't need extra space you could also reuse your hard drives and/or optical drives depending on how many IDE slots your new PC has and what interface your old drives use.

I'm with the others, build a new one. You'll be much happier in the long run. As for selling it, you already know you won't get much out of it. I suggest you turn it into a HTPC (Home Theatre PC), or donating it to someone that can't afford a new computer.

As far as brand wise, that's very dependent on your budget, and what you're looking for. I always suggest AMD/ATI as they're the best bang for you buck, in my opinion. Yes, Intel has the fastest, but AMD has the price that most everyone likes.

agreed, for the most part, the i5 series is a waste of money for gamers, it could present good value when the integrated graphics is needed but even then the AMD on board IGP's are better. The only worthwhile chip is 750 which is a jip compared to the x4 955BE. You should run with a 955BE, a newish 790x board some g.skill ripjaws and a 5850 is budget permits. Otherwise consider a 4890 which is faster then the 5770 if you don't need dx11 support.

agreed, for the most part, the i5 series is a waste of money for gamers, it could present good value when the integrated graphics is needed but even then the AMD on board IGP's are better. The only worthwhile chip is 750 which is a jip compared to the x4 955BE. You should run with a 955BE, a newish 790x board some g.skill ripjaws and a 5850 is budget permits. Otherwise consider a 4890 which is faster then the 5770 if you don't need dx11 support.

I'd really like Directx 11, it seems pretty of a requirement for next gaming.

what bout Intel Coreâ„¢ 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz Socket
with XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (Directx11 support)
along with windows 7, im gonna read some about building computers now since Im pretty noob, give me some advices about the rest of the machine, RAM, motherboard, and please if you got any exp of any hardware, please review it and rate it :) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom