Dell XPS Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

Baseband Member
I bought a Dell XPS 420 in October of 2007. The motherboard went out in it last week (took to a local repair shop to confirm).

I'm going to try to find the part and install myself (might get help from IT guy at work). Where's the best place to find a replacement motherboard? Also, my desktop is a quad core. So does that mean I need 2 core duos or what?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Where do you live?

A Quad core is one CPU, just split up between for "cores"

To match you up with a board, we need your exact specs.

I live in Augusta, GA.

Here are the specs:
Intel® Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

Also, once repaired, do you have any idea how much I could sell for? Thanks™

Are you getting another dell board?
If not, You need to investigaste more on your board, dell likes to put odd mobo standoff patterns.

Meaning a aftermarket board won't fit in your case.

I'd be fine with a Dell board.

I just want to get it in running conditon so I can sell. Or I might end up giving it to my parents if I have trouble selling for a decent price.

Ryan

The XPS 420 uses a BTX form factor, so upgrading is limited, severely. Plus you probably have a proprietary PSU which you'll need either an adapter to use with a non-OEM board, or pull the power supply and get a new one, or use an OEM board.

You can buy a refurbished XPS 420 motherboard for around $90, which may be your only/best option.

I honestly wouldn't pay much more than $300 for the computer, 'cause it's not great for gaming, due to the GPU, and it's 3 years old, on a dying platform, so upgrading is almost out of the question.

Display Products

I honestly wouldn't pay much more than $350 for the computer, 'cause it's not great for gaming, due to the GPU, and it's 3 years old, on a dying platform, so upgrading is almost out of the question, except for the GPU and GPU.

Thanks for the reply - i'll probably go the refurbished route to save money.

I also have a 20" flat screen monitor...maybe if I throw that in too I can make $500 overall. I would be happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom