Mobo that supports AMD new cpu 6core need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I wrote Biostar and email and heres what they sent back to me :*(

No, your motherboard does not support the 6-core CPU because the CPU requires a dual power plane design. A BIOS update will not help. This incompatibility is hardware related. To see which of our motherboards support the 6-core CPU, Refer to the chart in the link
given that it is an AM2+ board with a 790GX chipset I would say they are full of it.
The AM2+ specification requires dual power lanes (for the Northbridge and the CPU core separately).
Not only that, but Phenom and Phenom II chips are designed to be backwards compatible with AM2 anyway.

ATM I'm trying to learn how to mod AMI BIOS's to insert new AGESA code (inside the 1B single Link Arch BIOS module) and run the new Thuban chips
The Biostar board you have uses an AMI BIOS. So if I can, I'll have a go at modifying a BIOS for your board.

AWARD BIOS's are easy, since the AGESA code is in its own separate module easily replaced by CBROM.

If you do end up getting a new board, I'd suggest one of the Gigabyte 790X boards if you don't want to spend too much. They tend to be really good for overclocking.
I have an Asus M4A79XTD EVO board, and while it's not bad, it has a significant vdroop issue which makes it difficult to push the CPU as far as I can. and it has a limit of 1.7V (though you're not likely to use that much)
With the turbo used on Thubans it could be even more of an issue (since turbo needs to set higher vcore when active)

These are good boards:
MA790XT-USB3
MA890GPA-UD3H

its not meant for me to use my new 6 core lol the mobo came and the plug on the mobo for cpu fan was dead. it would never come on, :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom