After 8 years, it's new desktop time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
I finally got a summer job, so I finally get a new PC. My current PC (desktop) is an ancient AMD AthlonXP box from HP from back before I knew how to build PC's (I learned by taking the HP apart and upgrading all I could out of it, but it is completely outdated and no good for gaming anymore).

I want a good solid build with enough power to play today's games but I also want it to last. Maybe I'll swap the graphics card in a few years or stick more RAM in but other than that I want it to last a while. That said, I'm putting the money up front and buying everything I can now while I can afford it.

Here is my current Newegg wish list:

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (2.8GHz, plan to OC a bit)
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D ATX LGA 1366 with USB3.0 and SATA6
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked
Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: A-DATA DDR3 2000 (2x2GB)
Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model AX3U2000XB2G9-EF

HDD: WD Caviar Black SATA 6.0 Gbps
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series 750W
Newegg.com - Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I've also been wondering whether I should consider the AMD 6-core CPU over the i7. 6 cores would be nice but if the i7 outperforms it then I want the i7.

Also, I've seen in other threads that people are recommending the ATi over the GTX470. I want to be able to use CUDA for Folding@Home and was the ultimate deal-breaker between the two. I may also try developing CUDA apps in the future (we might be using it on our robotics team) so having the option is something I want.

If you plan on using a lot of applications that would benefit from 6 cores like video encoding, rendering etc the AMDs might be worth considering but otherwise the i7 will be the better option.

Lga1366 Core i7's use triple channel ram so you want to get a set with three sticks.

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

This video card is the same price as the one you selected but is faster, quieter, runs cooler, and uses less power.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Since you want the system to last a long time I would consider getting a Corsair 750tx. Rosewill psu's are ok but Corsair's are great and the 750tx would have more than enough power if you wanted to add a second in the future.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Cases are largely personal preference however I suggest looking at the Cooler Master HAF 922. The HAF is a newer design than the 900 and offers better wire management and great cooling for a lower price.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Also, I've seen in other threads that people are recommending the ATi over the GTX470. I want to be able to use CUDA for Folding@Home and was the ultimate deal-breaker between the two. I may also try developing CUDA apps in the future (we might be using it on our robotics team) so having the option is something I want.

A new F@H Client that utilities OpenCL is in the works for ATI cards. I wouldn't recommend trying to develop for CUDA since it ties you to Nvidia cards, OpenCL is vendor agnostic and from what I have heard from people involved in gpgpu research it is the much better standard.

I'll look at the ATi again, if the performance is better and it supports F@H then I'll consider. One (important) question though, how are the ATi Linux drivers for that card? I use Ubuntu a lot for programming and I need the graphics to work at least to get basic 3d working. I know nVidia has very well supported Linux drivers while ATi has actual open-source drivers but I've heard mixed reviews about their performance. I don't plan on playing any games in Linux but I need the card to work.

Looking on Newegg trying to find ways to bring the cost down, I went looking at other motherboards and came across this one.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

How would that compare? It looks nice, has USB3/SATA6, has more PCIe slots than the ASUS, and is $100 cheaper. The only thing I am missing on both boards are serial ports (I use them a lot for electronics projects, they're the easiest way to interface with microcontrollers). I could probably use one of the PCIe x1 slots for a serial port or two.

Also looking to cut costs on the case, the Antec 900 is a very nice case with excellent build quality but it's expensive and I'd like to keep costs down while still getting good components. I'd also like a case that has a front mounted 120mm LED fan (preferably a single one) so I can use my RGB fan controller in it (also why I need a serial port).

How would this case compare to the Antec 900?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239

Would an Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU handle this build (with the Gigabyte motherboard and Radeon 5870 GPU)? The Rosewill went up in price today and I don't really want to spend 100+ on a PSU if I don't have to.

The reason I am asking about the Antec EarthWatts PSU is that I can get one for cheap. I have a $50 gift card to the university bookstore to use and I found some PSU's in their (small) electronics section. The 650W is the biggest one they have, but I can probably get it for $30 after the card and it would save on the Newegg order.

Here it is on Newegg, but the bookstore price is a bit higher.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Motherboards these days have good integrated sound cards, the Gigabyte and the Asus board both have 7.1 onboard with optical/coaxial digital output and the Radeon HD 5870 has digital sound output through HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom