New mobo installed, now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, I am really worried that I screwed up. I had it unscrewed just sitting inside the case and tried to turn it on and it did nothing. I did not hear anything when I hit the power button. When I screwed it down, it does absolutely nothing, no fans or anything. I am so embarrassed right now. I have a feeling that I ruined the new mobo:sick: I unhooked everything and took it out and looked at it pretty close. I did not see any capacitors blown or any place that looked messed up. I don't know what to do now.

I may try to hook my old one back up. I am worried that I got it to hot when I was removing the backplate.

Well then how are you supposed to install the cpu cooler on a different mobo? Are you saying you have to buy a new cpu cooler when you buy a new mobo?

I just reinstalled the original mobo and it seems to be working fine. It started up fine, it posted as well. I don't know what to do with the new board. It will not do nothing now. No fans, no lights, not a sound. Could I have fried it when I turned it on without it being screwed down? I carefully examined the mobo and everything looks fine, don't see any capacitors blown, no discoloration. I emailed the guy I bought it from and hopefully he will do something for me. I may have made it worse but there was something not right from the beginning.

SOULpHIRE, what time is it there in Australia? It is about 5:45 here, should be in bed but some rain woke me up so I decided to work on this.

Um, well it's 9:20PM now. Dunno what time it was when you posted :p

I think I've confused what you said, I was talking about the metal plate that comes attached to the back of the mobo on a lot of new mobos these days. If you're talking about the back retainer plate, then yeah disgregard what I said.

Yeah, the plate I am talking about did not come with the mobo. It is for the cpu cooler to screw into.

I am still waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from. Since I bought it off of ebay, I am hoping I will be able to get a replacement. I just don't know why it is not working. It came with a test report. So I assume that means he had it running in a machine. On the test report, it even had the same cpu as mine.

I may have totally screwed myself. It is not doing nothing now. I am about to throw this thing in the river and build a new core i7 system. Just out of curiosity, what do you think I could get for my system? With the original mobo installed, everything runs fine except for the random problems and they don't happen that often. I thought about selling it as a whole for maybe 3, 4, or 500 dollars or keep some parts like the PSU, hard drives, case and dvd drive for the new build to help keep costs down. I priced just the CPU, RAM, GPU and MOBO and I was up to 1200 already.

I have not tried that outside the case. I did try booting up with the minimum inside the case and made no difference. Since I tried booting up without the mobo screwed down, just sitting inside the case, I am getting absolutely nothing. So I am afraid I have damaged the mobo even more.

I will try booting up outside the case later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom