New mobo installed, now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I just installed a new motherboard, exact same model as the one I was using before. I got everything hooked up and hit the power button and nothing shows up on the screen. All the fans and lights come on but there is no beep and nothing comes up on the screen. No other hardware has been changed.

I have cleared the cmos by touching the pins together with the PSU unplugged. Should that be done with the psu unplugged or not? I have not taking the battery out. Would that help any?

I would put the other mobo back in but I am afraid I have damaged that mobo by removing the backplate for the cpu cooler. I put a little heat to it with a hair dryer and it turned the mobo a green color around that area and I still had to put quite a bit of pressure on it to get it off. So I could of dug into the mobo a little too. It looks okay to the naked eye though.

This is a brand new motherboard that has been tested out before it was shipped.

I will check that again but I am sure that is installed correctly.

I just checked the ram and it was fine. I tried it with one stick and no difference. I also tried it without no ram installed and I got a series of beeps. So I know the speaker works.

I noticed there is a capacitor right below the nb heatsink that is pointing down a little. I will try to get a clear pic of it.

Here is a pic of the capacitor. It is the one circled in red.

Notice how there is a little place between the mobo and the capacitor on the top.

If it doesnt wiggle it should be fine.

Is it possibly shorting out? Double check the standoffs, and if need be, try booting out of case.

Oh, does it have an onboard speaker? Might e beeping and no speaker to hear.

It does not wiggle.

It does have an onboard speaker and it works too. I tried it without ram and I got a series of beeps so I know the speaker works.

Something else I noticed too is when I took the old mobo out, when I took the screws out, the mobo had some pressure on it. There was some distance between the standoff screw and the mobo. Had to push on it a little to be able to screw it in. The new one is the same way. This may not be part of the problem, just wondered if this was normal.

Man, this sucks. I try to fix a couple of small problems but now I got one major problem.

Agreed. And it's ok if capacitors have spaces underneath them. So long as the leads aren't broken and the tops are flat, it's fine.

I will try that eventually. Is it possible that the cpu cooler could be installed wrong? All 4 screws are screwed tight.

Now things have gone from bad to worse. I tried to turn it on without the mobo screwed down and it did not do anything, no lights or fans. So I figured it had some kind of sensors that would not let it turn on without being screwed down. So I screwed it back down and still absolutely nothing.

It wouldn't be causing the system to totally fail, at worst all you'd see would be bad temps and possibly a crash/freeze after a while. But definitely not crashing/freezing straight away

The computer does not need to be screwed down. BUT it does need to be totally out of the case.

Unscrewed its highly likely its fully ground out.

You need to put the board on cardboard, with ram, cpu/fan and gpu... and psu of coarse. Try booting it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom