Lapping cpu/cpu block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
I am putting a water cooling rig in soon and was wondering if I could/should lapp the CPU block?

CPU: i7 920 DO
CPU Block: HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 1366 - Limited Edition Nickel/Chrome Plated Waterblock

I am going to follow Slay's guide to lapping the CPU but I have also seen TRUEs and Megahalems lapped but those have surfaces with no allen screws. The bottom of the CPU block has 6 allen screws holding the copper plate in place. Will it hurt the screw holes if I lapp the copper plate? Thanks for any suggestions/help everyone!

No. That block performs worse if lapped. Most modern blocks now have forced bows to get the most pressure right at the die on the cpu

Well ok thanks guys for the input... I still plan on lapping my CPU so there should be a good contact between the cpu block and the i7 920.

I wouldn't lap the CPU either... there are very small gains involved when using water cooling. Where you see the big drops in temps is with air cooling (for the most part)

You mean big drops in temps from lapping the cpu when air cooling?

So just stick with the stock surface for the cpu block and cpu...?

Lapping your CPU may or may not give you a decent improvement. What it will do is Void Your Warranty. If that doesn't bother you then I'll say "it won't hurt your temps".

well lapping your cpu will definitely lower temps, as that surface is not desighned for water cooling, there fore it will not hamper the ability for water to cool it. Burn is right about the blocks, they are designed to be effective out of the box.

Voiding the warranty for it to see very minimal gains though i don't think would be worth it as you are already water cooling, you should be able to see pretty darn good oc's with it on water, that a few degrees less if that even wont do much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom