Dual psu do or dont ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desolation

In Runtime
so whats your guys opinion on dual power supply's do or don't, cause ive been looking into it for a bit now. one to run my mother board cpu and video cards then one to run everything else im planing on picking up 4 2 tb hard drives and 2 ssd plus 2 5870 down the road and wanna know if dual power supplys would be a good option rather than one giant psu. and is one giant 12 v rail better than multiple rails.

Be cautious with dual PSU setups. >_>

I have seen some, where someone didn't balance the power properly, one PSU was putting out a bit more voltage than the other on a rail, well, lets just say, a IDE controller died >_>

Stick with a single PSU as it's less risky than having two PSUs and it's one less fan to have running on your computer too!

I have a place for another power supply in the bottom of my case, but I have not used it.......not yet at least :big_grin:

5870s sips power compared to fermi
750TX could run 5870 crossfire or go with the Corsair 850TX if you are overclocking (newer, and I hear its overall, better quality)

376W power consumption for dual 5870 add another ~200W for cpu

576W + another 100W for everything else 676W

hard drives consumes ~5W ea. half of that for SSD's
so I dont know why people think they need a huge psu for multiple hard drives

Be cautious with dual PSU setups. >_>

I have seen some, where someone didn't balance the power properly, one PSU was putting out a bit more voltage than the other on a rail, well, lets just say, a IDE controller died >_>

I can second that too.

The only time I have seens dual PSU is in a server case as a redundancy measure.

5870s sips power compared to fermi
750TX could run 5870 crossfire or go with the Corsair 850TX if you are overclocking (newer, and I hear its overall, better quality)

376W power consumption for dual 5870 add another ~200W for cpu

576W + another 100W for everything else 676W

hard drives consumes ~5W ea. half of that for SSD's
so I dont know why people think they need a huge psu for multiple hard drives

I agree...both my CPU and GPU are overclocked and I do fine with a 550vx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom