want an itx sized super-computer (lol- I know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobelloy

Beta member
Hi, first off, I think this post belongs somewhere between general computer and high performance - but I am more interested in the high performance opinions - thats why I'm posting here.

I need a new computer (to replace my underpowered trusty old dell), and the only computer I've ever had that has not ultimately disapointed me is the one I made myself many years ago (now my daughters computer and still better than my much newer dell)

What I want though is a tiny computer like the current wave of net-tops but with far more power, so here are a few specific questions:

how does the dual core atom compare to say an 1156 i5 (or an i7) does it compare very badly?

hows the performance of the nvidia ion chipset, compared to the mobile 9x compared to the regular 9x

I've seen a few itx sized motherboards that have a proper socket to accomodate either an 1156 or 1366 CPU, that can also take one or two full-sized pci-e card (ie-graphics) and some with onboard nvidia 9x chips - given that I don't really play games but would like to leave that door open anyway in case I decide to buy a cool game, and I really really want a tiny computer (I am a girl so its allowed) should I :

a) just get a latest generation atom-based net-top
b) build my own 1156/1366 based itx sized computer
c) build a mATX sized computer with proper sized components

eg: I like this net-top Desktops: Workstations: Giada Slim-N10, Atomâ„¢ N330 1.6Ghz/2G/250G/GF9400M/Linux - Australia Computer Online
and I like this itx mobo http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-h55itx-a-e-lga-1156-mini-itx-wifi-intel-motherboard.html

how far apart would the performance be between these two platforms?

also where should I focus on spending? best cpu, top motherboard, best gfx card, loads of ram, fast HDD?

dont hold back, let me have it ;-)

i built a itx computer last year. i used the intel board with the atom dual core. #330. it works ok with XP.
drawbacks.
video chip fan is loud. small heatsink so you need a stronger fan.
cant add a half size graphics card or wireless card. maybe bad choice of case on my part.
parts or not cheap.
motherboards with regular size cpu will need a low powered cpu because of heat.
to me the smaller cases seem to make more noise from the fans .

better off building a micro atx case. parts are cheaper. since most people use a 22 to 24 inch screen you can put the mico atx case sideways behind the monitor. i have my second computer this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom