HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I posted this thread (http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/multiple-hdd-storage-w-backup-229685/), but nobody replied, but I think I just want a home theater PC anyways.

1. I have a lot of data, and expect a lot more to be coming - currently have about 1.3TB of stuff, but the hard drives they're currently on are being given to my friend, so I need new hard drives for this htpc build. I wouldn't mind preparing for the future and having 4TB, but I'm also pretty obsessed about backing stuff up, so I was thinking about 3 2TB drives in a RAID 5.

2. I want the case to be as small as possible, but I don't know how many HTPC cases have 3 hard drive bays. Any suggestions?

3. Thinking about 3 of these - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I've never done a RAID before... anything special I need to know?

4. Recommend other cheap components? I want to keep this relatively cheap (other than the hard drives)

5. Probably will want it to be connected wireless to my network, so need some sort of wireless receiver.

An external 3.5' bay is for things like floppy drives - you can leave the cover panel in place and put a 3.5' HDD there too. Those drives look good, to use RAID you can use the inbuild RAID controller on your motherboard, but most people would reccommend using a proper controller card. I would never reccommend the case you just posted, if you look at the open pictures you can see it will only fit one case fan properly - the second fan is in a really stupid place (it might work with just two screws).

Yeah I had seen that Lian Li one before - problem is that it's a little bigger, but mainly $110 extra.

If I have 3 drives in a RAID5, is it possible/easy to add a 4th to have more space?
And just to clarify my understanding of RAID5, 3x2TB drives would give me 4TB of usable space, correct?

Also link me to a potential raid controller if I don't use one that's built into the mobo? What's the benefit of using a separate controller?

What about this combo so I get an HDMI port?
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
or this one?
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

And I guess I'll go with one of the 2 cases you guys recommended - once I decide if I want to pay extra.
Newegg.com - nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum panel & Steel HTPC 1000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C33B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

HDD (3 of these, maybe add a 4th in the future if necessary)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I think I'll take a dvd drive from my other computer that has 2.

RAM?
PSU?
RAID Controller?
Wireless receiver?
Other?
Am I going to get enough SATA cables for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom