Gaining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe try an intern position? dunno.

This is what I am doing. I don't want to give myself any unreasonable expectations, so I have no clue if I'll get a job or not, but I'm hoping the company I'm interning for will hire me. I definitely feel this internship is more valuable than any certification, but that isn't to say I'm not also seeking to get certified as well. I'm doing both, but I think the internship will greatly improve my chances at landing a job. Either way it's great experience.

You can search online for internships or try visiting a local college, (if your not already attending), to see if they offer any internships.

I may be a little young, but I definitely feel like the degrees in computer science and computer engineering give you a big advantage in terms of getting a job in the IT world. I'd definitely echo some earlier sentiments that the easiest (or maybe hardest) way to get a shot is to go to school, get good grades, and stay eager to learn and see if you can grab an internship with a local firm or a part-time job in a shop somewhere.

I should qualify the degree talk and say that everyone senior to me at my workplace doesn't necessarily have a degree. But for me, it wasn't an option. The college degree was a requirement (although my bachelors is in math and not CS). Many companies may be heading towards more formal requirements in the future like a college degree in something, so keep that in mind.

When I was interning at the company I work for, I was also heavily encourage to take either the MCSE or MCITP exams instead of stuff like the Comp Tia A+ exams that I had heard of. Those two qualifications along with the CCNA seem to be a little more highly prized in the networking world.

I may be a little young, but I definitely feel like the degrees in computer science and computer engineering give you a big advantage in terms of getting a job in the IT world. I'd definitely echo some earlier sentiments that the easiest (or maybe hardest) way to get a shot is to go to school, get good grades, and stay eager to learn and see if you can grab an internship with a local firm or a part-time job in a shop somewhere.

I should qualify the degree talk and say that everyone senior to me at my workplace doesn't necessarily have a degree. But for me, it wasn't an option. The college degree was a requirement (although my bachelors is in math and not CS). Many companies may be heading towards more formal requirements in the future like a college degree in something, so keep that in mind.

When I was interning at the company I work for, I was also heavily encourage to take either the MCSE or MCITP exams instead of stuff like the Comp Tia A+ exams that I had heard of. Those two qualifications along with the CCNA seem to be a little more highly prized in the networking world.
Well put. I agree with everything.

How do i get experience if the entry level jobs require experience? i was browsing for jobs yesterday and every entry level job i saw required at least two years experience

Try contactings employment agents directly. They have thier foot in the door with a lot of these companys and they are willing to listen to you and put you forwards to some of these positons.

That is the messed up thing about this industry. Every job requires experience (even the most entry level position), but no one will give you a job without that experience. So how in the world do you get that experience that no one will allow you to obtain!?!?!

And then after that, have that lovely age bracket of 20 to 24 where
* You are too experienced for entry level jobs.
* Not experienced enough for any thing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom