Assistance building new computer (oohh challenge!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreai

Beta member
Hey everyone-

I really hate to be the nub that come in and says "hey guys! Build me a computer for 2000$". So, to make myself feel better... I've spent the better part of the last 3 days trying to find solid informative sites so I could learn more about how to build my own computer, but alas, I'm either to far behind the curve to understand the different specs, or the information feels too old. So, While I'd love help putting together a build, I'd really appreciate help -learning- so that I can evaluate a build on my own. I hate being ignorant, so hopefully you can understand why this is so frustrating for me.
I really just want a computer that is fast enough to run (don't laugh!) World of Warcraft on Ultra setting and have the option to also record during arenas. I currently have a P.O.S. that lags hardcore in Dalaran (it can take 5 minutes or more before I actually see the other people in the city!) As I play a class that is heavily influenced by lag, I really feel that it's limiting my ability ( :umm: )

Edit: I'm checking out the Stickies above for information, just so you guys don't think I skipped over them. =)
What websites do you trust for reviews of different products?

Assuming you guys don't scare me into a corner, would it be okay if I updated post as I make decisions so you can evaluate my choices?

With a 2k budget you can build a rig that maxes crysis. Heck a $700 build would be able to max WoW and then some, since its not exactly a demanding game. Post up what you have and someone (or me whenever I wake up :p) will help you out for sure.

So this build puts me at about 1600- I have an additional 400 to play around with.

With that said, I still haven't chosen a CPU fan/heatsink- any thoughts?

If needed, I can drop the monitor for now-I have a perfectly acceptable one, but I'd like to have a new one at some point.

Does anything not work together? ( this is prehaps my biggest fear!)
What could I upgrade to make the overall package better?

get this ram instead,
Newegg.com - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
same speed w/ tighter timings at a lower voltage.

i would get any of these gfx cards instead:

performs similarly to a gtx 260 and supports dx11, less expensive,
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

better than a gtx 260 for around the same price, doesn't support dx11 though,
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

or spend some more on this one here, better than a 5770, gtx 260 and 4890, and supports dx11,
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity

for your primary hdd, that's pretty expensive for just a 160gb hdd. when you include shipping costs, this faster hdd is only $2 more.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

the corsair psu is good. for $10 more though, you could get this modular psu that's also good.
Newegg.com - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom