Upgrading PSU: Single 12v rail or double?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would trust the BP550 to run that system and more... I had a BP350 running my system, with the 4870 in it, and never had one problem with it.

However, the 3 12V rails are kind of a throw off on the BP550. They are over current protection, so the total number of amperage for the 12V is lower. The total wattage for the 12V is 384, which means around 32amps for the 12V.

However, the 3 12V rails are kind of a throw off on the BP550. They are over current protection, so the total number of amperage for the 12V is lower. The total wattage for the 12V is 384, which means around 32amps for the 12V.

Don't you basically just add up the amps on each rail to get the total rail output? Shouldn't the Antec be around 69 amps? It's been a while since I've bought a PSU...and my last one was with a system that had an AGP graphic card so I could be wrong, but I thought you just added them up.

Thanks for all the tips and mentioning the Antec PSU. I had an Antec in an older PC and it still works....it's just outdated unfortunately. I wasn't sure if Antec still made quality PSUs

Just posting an update:

I went with the Corsair and I don't think I could be happier! Unfortunately, I couldn't compare the noise level between my new and old PSU because the old 7300GS was so loud I couldn't hear anything else. However, after I pulled that out and replaced it with the 8800GT my system now is ridiculously quiet. Seriously, the only noise I can hear during idle is from the hard drive, other than that I can't hear a thing. Even when playing Crysis on very high settings, (yea, it's a little choppy), the computer is much more quiet than it was before when it was just sitting idle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom