$1500 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Cool master Hyper 212 plus, but the backing plate standoffs are too tall between the mobo and mobo case plate. I have a full tower Lian li as mentioned in my original post. Even if I didn't have this little problem the Hyper looks like it would be too tight to the Gskill Ram.
Now everything is apart and I need to get it finished, so..I think I'll try the Intel i7 stock cooler that came with the processor.
Will it work? I'm not overclocking.

I have a Lian-Li A70B :D

You have to install the heatsink (Cooler Master) before you install the mobo.

Don't Rush the assembly, take your time and do it Right the 1st time.

The memory should just barely fit under the fan, if not you may have to raise the fan up a little. This is one of the reasons I recommended the OCZ memory.

The stock heatsink will work fine at stock speeds, but I would use the Cooler Master.

Did you use the motherboard standoffs? The backplate should't be too tall, since most mobo standoffs are the same...

Looked at the Hyper again. I guess I had the plate backwards. Will try it again tomorrow. Comes with one miserable set of instructions. The worst.
Had no problem with my prior build. Was using a Zalman.

Thanks, guys. I've got the hyper mounted and am ready to install the mobo.
Is it a good idea to QFlash after completing the build, or before? Was wondering if I should flash with one stick of memory and vid card before installing the Operating system?

Got it together. The bios didn't need flashing, as it came with F5.

I'm wondering though, about the gtx 470's heat. Speedfan shows it at 89C at idle, and the 8800GT at 73C. ( BTW, I'm running 4 monitors, and have read that when you connect 2 monitors to one card, that card then runs full tilt, and never at idle). True?

The way the cards are installed is that the 470 is in the top pci-e slot and the 8800 underneath, but there is only about a half inch space between them. Was thinking of moving the 470 to the bottom pci-e slot and that would provide more space between the cards, although the 470 would be about an inch and a half above the psu, which also generates heat.
Any thoughts?

Leave the 470 in the Top Slot, don't move it. Move the 8800GT to the bottom slot. Try manually adjusting the fan speeds a little higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom