Serious Laptop Problem, POSSIBLE water damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
I have an alienware m9700i.
there has been no KNOWN physical damage done to this laptop, but after letting my little brother use the laptop I noticed that it was a bit moist after I got it back... I honestly don't believe it to be water damage, but we'll see.

but let me tell you what is happening.

Okay, when first powered on, the computer does it's normal thing. However it is immediately halted and abruptly brought the BIOs screen where it stays. I can hit Save and Exit, but still, it will boot up only to the Bios. I'm also greeted with a very loud ticking sound.. it seems like it's coming from the optical drive.

Sometimes, on SPECIAL occasions, my computer will give me a disk read error. I'm not sure if it's because I HAVE NO HARDDRIVES IN THERE, (Although they were functioning when i took them out.) or if it's something else.

Does anyone have ANY idea on what I could do?
I notice that it finds 4 gigs of ram, but only 2 available, I'm assuming 2 gigs are incapable of working.. I'll take those out later on, as soon as I get some feedback.

I'm no good with laptops.. Any advice?

RAM or HDD problem.

One RAM stick may be bad. Try swapping each out.

The HDD can be recognized, but some of the files on there may be corrupt. I say back up all the data you need and reinstall Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom