Video problems (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ATX case is standing on a hardwood floor under my desk and is always well ventilated. I had a nice multimeter for probably a decade and just gave it up because I never did anything with it. Didn't really know what I was doing. I'd need to get another one if I wanted to manually test my stuff.

I used this as a guide when I picked my PSU, and I chose it mainly based on the 750W. It seems that the Radeon HD4870 might cap out around 300W, and the CPU would only draw ~100W give or take from what I've been reading.

Well I'll be moving into a new place in a week and will have to set up my PC differently.

Tell me if this is crazy: heavy-duty power cord going from the wall socket to a power strip. Six of the eight slots are taken on that strip, one of which is ANOTHER power strip with 3/6 slots taken. That's my PC and TV setup, because this room sucks and there's only one outlet.

thanks 95BlackGA for your help. Will continue to diagnose this.

It was smart to check out some guides on PSUs before making a decision. However, the guides rarely ever tell you what kind of brands you should be looking for, or staying away from. Our forum has a very good guide on what brands to look for.

I would be a little worried about the current electrical setup you have. I don't like having more than half of a power strip/UPS, but that's mainly because of the strips themselves. I don't trust them. However, I do know exactly what it's like to have only one or two outlets in an entire room, so things aren't always as hoped, and must be utilized to it's fullest.

thank you, I will do some research and likely replace my PSU. Hopefully that will help out at least a little with my troubles.

EDIT: Just plunked down 200 bones for a Topower PSU. Hope that works out.

That was a big waste of money. I agree that I think your Chiefmax power supply was your problem. But not that you needed to spend $200 on another overpriced power supply from a shoddy manufacturer. You need to Cancel that order and buy a Power Supply from a Reputable Manufacturer.

This is under $100 after a rebate and it has more than enough power for your PC.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

That was a big waste of money. I agree that I think your Chiefmax power supply was your problem. But not that you needed to spend $200 on another overpriced power supply from a shoddy manufacturer. You need to Cancel that order and buy a Power Supply from a Reputable Manufacturer.

This is under $100 after a rebate and it has more than enough power for your PC.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I agree 100%, cancel that order, and go with more reputable. That corsair is a GREAT price. If you would have checked out the Power Supply guide here, you would have seen that more Topower PSU's are not worth the money. Except for the PowerBird 800. While there's a slight chance that this PSU is good, just not well known yet, why take the risk again? Especially with that much money at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom