Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
in the next couple of months, i wanna build a socket 939 system, whats a good full featured 939 board at a good resonable price.

wait a bit for the dfi boards to come out.... there will be two versions.. one that has the nforce 3 chipset which'll use interfaces such as agp.. the other version will have, i think, the nforce 4 chipset and will utilize technologies such as pci-e x 16 and pci-3 x 1... if you buy the pci-e version u should be a lot more future proof! :)

i would say the Abit AV8 or the Abit AV8-3rd Eye if you are willing to spend a bit more. Alternatively i would say the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Both of these boards are loaded with features, and are very stable.

I agree 100% with Raekwon. Just two days ago I put together a 64bit system for someone and I used the MSI Neo2-Platinum. Real good board man. Has 2 onboard LAN, 7.1 Sound, just about everything you need. The BIOS has quite a bit of options, though probably not as much as ABit. But the MSI still has multi, AGP Frequency, FSB, Voltage control, which is basically about all you need for OC'ing. Complete control over RAM timings, all that good stuff. Plus what I like about MSI is that it comes with what's called a D-Link bracket. You fit it in the slot in the back, like where a PCI card would stick out, but it doesn't fit into the PCI slot, it just fits into the back plate. It has 4 led's on it that form a square and lets say your computer doesn't boot you can look at those 4 LED's and depending on which ones are on will tell you what's wrong. It's very handy and has saved me many times from having to troubleshoot the hardware one by one. ABit doesn't have anything like that, but I do believe on the new socket 939 boards they have an actual LCD screen on the motherboard itself that'll produce a 2 digit code that'll tell you also what's wrong with the board.

Conclusion: ABit AV8-3rd Eye or MSI Neo2-Platinum. I've used MSI before, and I used them again to build this AMD64 system and both times I've used them they've been excellent boards. I've also got two ABits, neither are AMD64 based but both of those work awesome as well.

im not sure of an exact release date but ive heard from christmas to early 2005 (january)

EDIT: but i think it should be out by christmas.. as dfi is already a little behind in the socket 939 category so they'll be rushing to get those mobos out as soon as possible :).. so i think itll be out in tirme for christmas shopping :)

no im pretty sure it wont be.. the amd 64's onboard memory controller is optimized for ddr.. so putting ddr 2 will just be a really really big waste of potential performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom