Need help setting up microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have a set of Logitech heaphones that has a microphone. I can not get it to work right. It has a button on the headphones to turn the mic on and off. If I have it on, I can hear myself typing, clicking the mouse through the headphones and it is really fuzzy. While using it in BFBC2, I can not hear any voices, I can hear gun fire if I am close enough. The sound is totally screwed up.

Now if I turn the mic off, I can hear music fine on the desktop. I do not get any feedback. I have not tried it with the mic off in game, kind off defeating the purpose of using headphones. I have went into the sound card console and if I set it to headphones, I do not get any sound at all. I do get sound if I leave it on 5.1 speakers.

If I go to set up a microphone, the part where you speak the text, the green bar moves but it says it did not hear anything. I have tried hooking it up 2 different ways, directly into the sound card and also headphone plug into the speaker and the mic plug into the sound card.

What headset is this? It sounds as if this is a headset designed for a console of some kind. Most headsets come with 2x 1/8" connectors; one for the mic and one for the headphones. If your headset only uses 1 connector then it was likely designed for another device (not a computer headset).

Headsets can either use the 2x 1/8" connectors, or a USB connector for the computer. You should have bought a USB headset, as it's quite a bit easier to connect, and it doesn't require you fussing with the speaker settings or unplugging anything.

You will need a converter if you only have 1 plug on the headset, and it's likely going to cost you as much as the headset itself did. I recommend just buying a nice USB headset.

I am not sure of the model, it is a Logitech. Instead of the band sitting on top of your head, this one goes around the back of your neck. Here is what they look like: http://www.logitech.com/repository/246/jpg/1624.1.0.jpg

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier but it does have 2 3.5mm connectors, one for the headphone and the other for the mic. I have tried using the onboard sound as well and it does the same thing. And for some reason, it will not work at all when I plug them into the front audio ports.

It seems that the mic does work in game but I can not hear anybody else talk back to me. Don't know if that is a problem on my end or the game's end. Also I can not hear the game sounds right either. For example, in BFBC2, whenever you lose a base or take control of a base, the game will tell you but I can not hear it, can't hear people being spotted either. I can hear gun fire if I am close enough.

I just bought a usb desktop mic mainly for the fact that I don't like to wear headphones to much and so I don't have to unplug the speakers all the time.

Well it sounds as if there may be a problem with the headset. Perhaps a short? or just a faulty piece of equipment?

There is no way for me to tell without playing with them, but I'm glad you got a USB mic.

If you decide you want another headset in the future make sure to get a USB headset to avoid this sort of issue. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

EDIT: The fact that you can't hear things actually might be related to what you said about 5.1 being the only setting that seems to work.

The headphones, as I'm sure you already know, are not 5.1. The rear and center channels are not going to be there, and Center is most often where the voice and general audio is going to come from in a 5.1 configuration.

Have you tried setting the speaker configuration to stereo, or quadraphonic?

Once I receive the usb mic, I will let you know if it turns out any better. Thanks for the help.

I find that kind of odd too that it doesn't work on the headphones settings.

No I have not tried setting the speakers to stereo or quadraphonic. Never really thought about that but I have a feeling that is not the problem. I will try that sometime tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom