Upgrading PSU: Single 12v rail or double?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
I'm looking to upgrade the PSU in my Gateway GT5224 system to power an 8800GT card I was given. This computer doesn't support SLI and I don't plan to use this PSU in any future builds, so I'm wondering if it makes any of a difference if I get a PSU that only has a single +12V connector, or one with multiple.

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price, but before I order one I wanted to ask if there is anything I should be concerned about if I get one or the other types of PSU's. Would it be better to have a single connector with a higher amount of amps rather than two connectors? The card, by the way, needs about 22Amps, so the PSU's I've been looking at are around 500-550W in around the $60-$85 price range, (not counting mail in rebates).

multiple rail vs. single rail is a great debate.

I've had both with no issues. Some say a single rail, that way you can over draw a gpu connection, which is usually on its own rail, but others say having a dedicated rail for things like a gpu is better.

Bottom line is a quality built psu will have no issues with power distribution.

Which psu's are you looking at?

Well you know how newegg's deals change from day to day, so I haven't locked down on any specific models but I am leaning towards OCZ. Their PSUs seem to get good reviews and their prices aren't too bad either.

I am eyeballing this one:
Newegg.com - OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

but I'm wondering if I should consider a PSU with a single rail such as this:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

The Corsair model has 100 less watts than the OCZ model, but with 33amps on the 12v rail I would imagine that should be fine, right?

Also, it would be nice to get a modular PSU to help with airflow, (I'm not sure how much heat the 8800gt will generate), but I think I probably would be fine either way. That is one reason why I'm leaning towards the OCZ model, however.

You'll pay more for modular, and corsair only makes modular multirails, I have the 550hx, and it ran great with my 8800gt, and my 260 after i upgraded.

The 450vx will for sure power you, but will leave little room for upgrading.

The OCZ is nice too, corsairs A Bit nicer, and will give good upgrade ability.

Wow, just checked the OCZ, and for the price, after rebate is a killer deal.

Have a second on this as this is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions....

Yea that rebate does make it a killer deal....but from the reviews it sounds like it takes some time before people actually get them. I might get the Corsair because this system really can't be upgraded much more than what I've already done to it, the next step would be to replace it's old dual core with a nice quad core...but I'd rather put that money towards a completely new build.

Right now I'm just anxious to get this 8800gt I've had laying around for 2 weeks in the computer to replace the crappy card that's in it. I'm also hoping it'll quiet down this tornado under my desk, I'll post my results once I get a new PSU later on this week. Thanks for the tips!

That OCZ is decent but the Corsair is great. For only $10 more after mir I would go for the 450vx. It will be more than enough power for you system.

The one thing about a good psu is you just add it to a new build.

But yes the corsair is a very good psu, and plentiful enough for your setup, and actually even a new mobo/cpu setup.

I stumbled across a post by jonnyGURU, who is pretty legendary for his psu reviews, on another site that put the BP550 a bit below the OCZ Fatal1ty so the 450vx would still be my first choice unless you really want a modular psu in which case it would come down to how the other two are priced when you go to order.

yea i've read many of his reviews; i did not know this about the bp550 though, good to know, thx.

in that case, the corsair looks like a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom