Multiple monitors and KVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Jarosz

Beta member
I have four monitors. I want to add another computer in a KVM switch type configuration. Any way I can do this maintaining the use of all the monitors over each machine?

Can you provide more details on what equipment you have and what your trying to achieve?

Such as will you have four computers each with a monitor and all sharing one keyboard?

Hi,

I do video editing. To keep things clean, I'd like to keep the video editing software on one machine and everything else on another. This is also why I have four monitors. Just one keyboard and mouse.

So:

Two computers
Four monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse
I want to do the standard KVM setup between the computers, but I have four monitors instead of one.

When I say four monitors, think dual monitors on one PC, but four of them.

Hope this helps.

Not quite sure if I understand completely. So might clarify. The way I'm reading this is that you have two computers, each running a dual screen setup. ie Computer 1 is connected to monitor 1 and 2. And computer 2 is connected to monitor 3 and 4. What you would then like to do is use one keyboard and mouse to control both computers. Is this correct?

If it is then I guess there are two ways you can proceed. One is to get a KVM switch and only connect the keyboard and mouse components to the two computers. This way all four displays remain connected and working with the relevant computers.

The second option, is one which I prefer but relies on both computers being on the same network. You can get an application such as Teleport which allows you to control both computers using the same keyboard and mouse. The way Teleport (which is for Mac, though I'm sure there is a Non Mac equivalent) works is that it combines the desktops of the two computers as "one", and so you simply need to move the mouse from one computer to the other to gain control of it.

I prefer the second option as you don't have to worry about any switching, and it provides a more seamless way of working (simply drag the mouse pointer to where you want to work)

Almost got it, folks. Right now I have a system with four displays. I want add another computer via KVM switch. That's all. All four on one computer, *switch,* all four on the other. The keyboard and mouse follow suit.

I'd like to keep it around $200, and have no problem buying used hardware.

Otherwise the cheap'n'nasty way is 3 monitor splitter boxes and one normaly KVM. Hower that is going to be a little messy.

So you use four screens on the primary machine to do video editing, and use a secondary machine for everything else. My question is do you need to have all four screens for the applications on the secondary screen?

As a suggestion, couldn't you simply just switch one or two screens to secondary machine rather than all four. This will keep the costs of any fancy super duper KVM down. I also can't think of that many situations apart from really high end audio recording/video editing where you would actually need to be using four screens at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom