CPU Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbreevesii

Baseband Member
i went back just now and scraped off the old stock pentium "heat pad" form my heat sink. i then replaced it w/ some silver base thermal compound. previously my mobo said(not that its accurate.....who knows) that it was running at about 48-49*C. when i first booted it up after the change it was showing 45-48*C. now(10 min later) it is showing idle at 49-50*C wats up w/ that?!! i upgraded my thermal link between cpu and heatsink and my temps go up? help please.

perhaps you put on too much of the thermal compound.. check if any of it has been squished off the side of ur cpu where it could be causing a short... you have to get on just the right amount for it to work perfectly.. and also when you cleaned off your heatpad did you use rubbing alcohol? it helps to take off every single bit of the heat pad.. because if you mix the heatpad with a thermal compound you get a cpu that runs hoter than it was before

i used a rajor blade on the heat sink until it was shiny bare aliuminum. soem did squish out the sides, having forsight of this i removed my heat sink to check after i first tightened it down. the computer is having to problems so there is no reason y my squished out compound would have made a diff. iono where you were getting the idea of shorting anything out. i'm probably going to go back and put whats left of my compound right in the middle of the heat sink for extra measure. like i said tho guys, i seriously doubt that those are accurate temps. i can feel very very little diff temp wise when i'm sitting here and when i put my fingers near my mobo or any of the heat sinks in the case.

btw: its a p4 2.6c HT.

lol i dont think u know enuff about this to be even attempting this... too much thermal grease on a cpu can cause it to flow over the sides of the surface ur working with on the cpu.. and that can cause BIG problems (the silver in the compound acts as a path for the electric currents and siglans to jump of their designated paths... if you dont konw that much about electricity then i dont know where to start with u... the jump in the signals causes a short as the siglans arent using their DESIGNATED paths for travel.. get it?).. and you're SUPPOSED to use rubbing alcolhol to clean off all of the heatpad off of the surface and it any of the thermal grease over flows you are supposed to clean it off as well with rubbing alcohol...

you need the right amount of grease on the cpu.. if it overflows and you keep operating it like that you could be looking at BIG problems in the future... but if you dont want ot listen to me and be ignorant then continue by all means and dont complain about it when something goes wrong :)

EDIT: oh and btw you wont feel the temperature increase when you put your hand near the mobo because what you;re looking at is the interal temperature the cpu is actually working at... so meaning the temperature that the WHOLE CPU is running at... not the air around it.. and if youve put on too much compoung your heatsink wont be dissipating heat properly and you wont be able to feel any temperature increase around the mobo... but even as a note on top of that... ive built computers for customers with cases that have had very little airflow thru them...(because i know they wudnt be using them for anything extensive).. and most of the times the temperature in side the case has been around 30 degrees celcius... while the cpu has been running at 45-50... the 30 degrees inside the case is very hard to notice just by putting ur finger in tehre and feeling how hot it is

EDIT 2: oh yeah use some common sense.. when you put your hand near the mobo you have already opened the side of the case.. giving the hot air a really big path of getting out of ur case.. leaving the inside of the case at nearly ambient temperatures

EDIT 3: omg i just typed a novel for a reply.. i feel like nubius! :D

omg i just typed a novel for a reply.. i feel like nubius!
I can't believe I read all that just to get down that comment..lol you bastards! Silver, you write articles as big as I do now. Welcome to the big answers club!

Anywho, back to the thread owner. What he said is completely right. I had a mobo switched out and the dumbass who did it, didn't take the thermal pad off my stock heatsink, globbed on some compound, and the computer didn't start acting up until like 2 months later. It wouldn't boot up. Removed the heatsink and compound was all over the pins near the core. That's what silver is talking about. You don't want ANY compound to squish out and you definitely don't want to 'add a little extra to the heatsink' Thats just adding on top of your problem. You need to clean off both the heatsink and your CPU with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Put a grain of rice sized glob on the CPU Core, then spread it evenly on the core with a credit card or razor blade. Personally I think using something plastic works a little better, but then again I don't have steady hands for a razor blade lol

i'm not stupid silver. i have more common sense than you will ever know. i'm not an idiot as you are making me out to be. as i said, i put on too much, i wiped it off. you can't have a short citcuit if there is no excess material for the current to pass through. also i'm not so stupid as to think that sticking my hand inside my case will give me an idea as to my cpu temp. DUH! point was that the registered ambiant temp inside my case is x number of degrees above room temp. that is what i was feeling for. the point there is to check the relative accuracy of the temp sensors.

as for your second edit, my ambiant case temp is not going to drop 10 degrees or w/e it is within the few seconds that it takes for me to open the side of my case(like 2 seconds acutally) and stick my hand inside.

one other thing, as to your thing about rubbing alchohol, explain to me how you expect residue from a heat transfer pad that is virtually nonexistant to manage to gap the 1/8th of an inch or so from where it might might be on the sink to the actual board of the cpu? thats just sad.

as i said, i throughly scraped off the stock p4 pad, as in BARE METAL before applying my fresh thermal grease.

don't take people for idiots. thats what techs do, and thats what pisses off people who actually know somethin about what they are doing. you can't have a short circuit if the only medium for the current to travel through is AIR. get it? hope so.

EDIT: just to reiterate my point, what little bit of compound did squish out never came in contact w/ anything other than air. as i siad, i have common sense, i'm not going to glob it on there.

also, i built this computer a year ago, actually over a year ago, and the only thing to have ever went wrong with it was that my psu died. nothing more.

Ibree...you need to take a chill pill man. You might have common sense, but even people who claim that have made the simplest of mistakes. From your earlier posts you did make it sound like you were somewhat uneducated in the procedure.

i'm probably going to go back and put whats left of my compound right in the middle of the heat sink for extra measure.

That's basically something you generally don't do. This is reason 1 why he might have thought you were a newbie at it. Don't take so seriously especially when people are just trying to help and you asked for it.

If you're so compitant and full of common sense then you should be able to figure your problem out easily.

he's making out that there is a problem when there isn't. my question has nothing to do with ne of that bs. my question is why after replcing a crappy heat pad with good thermal grease did my temps go up. end of story. anyway. someone with more knowledge than you people has already answered my question elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom